2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 01:41 PM
Dave6498
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you want a drivetrain that will give you a CBA card, , drop a 440 big block in it. I don't know if one will fit in a second gen but it will in the first as it was an option until 1978. Now, if you REALLY want visual appeal at car shows, put long ram induction intakes from the early 60's in it. Wall to wall engine.

Personally, I think if you just do some basic maintenance on the truck, it will probably be a little more energetic. Not pin your ears back, but enough to get around. At 150K, your timing chain is probably getting worn. You can check how much slop by pulling the distributor cap and using a marker, note the location of the rotor. Now make a chalk mark on the harmonic balancer. See how far backwards you can rotate the engine before the rotor starts to move. It should move right away but unless your chain is new, it won't.10 or 20 degrees rotation and you need to replace the timing set. Your power will go up and fuel consumption will go down.

As for brands, I'm rather negotiable in virtue when it comes to a brand. I'll drive anything if I get a good deal. I've had everything from a 1972 Audi 100GL to a Z28 Camaro and plenty in between. I've owned somewhere between 250 and 300 cars and trucks in my life.
She's peppy but i think somethings a little off still. I have thought about doing the timing chain but I barely drive it since I've gotten a work truck. Maybe 20 miles a week, other than when i go to the beach or oval dirt track. Ill check it out tomorrow morning if i have the time. It's gonna take a good minute to gather the money to do this. I haven't just given up on the 318 but i know I'll never get the power and driveability out of it that i want. And if i could id still need another 2 grand to get my transmission rebuilt and beefed up. I did put a "high flow" cat in it a couple weekends ago and a 14x3 air filter last weekend. It's got a 1 in 2 out flowmaster 44 for a little rumble too The 440 bb would be cool but then i wont get the driveability and fuel economy. I want it to look stock and not be obnoxiously loud. And not to mention NO fuel injection and a/c. I'm keeping the faded paint and original wheels though I just want to be able to smash it from a dig and smoke the tires off and still get 20 mpg cruising on the highway. I'll definitely be doing lots of "unnecessary" trips as my fiancee would call it

Old 10-11-2019, 02:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave6498
Ok i see. Who would be able to do that? Some sort of speed shop? I've heard about hemifever a few times on here doing custom tunes also. Would i need to buy a tuner for him to do it? Any info helps

I knew i had to do a custom harness to begin with but I didnt think i needed a custom tune if I had ecm/tcm, sensors, etc.. And even though I'm a ford guy, I'll drive anything American, that's been proven. The ls is one of the best motors ever built. You probably won't agree cause your a mopar guy. I give credit where credit is due though. I just prefer ford, but their is some Ford's i would never buy. To sit their and argue about which brand is better is ridiculous. They all have great cars and crappy ones

Is swaps are just to generic nowadays though and i want something different. Not saying it wouldn't be bad@$$ though

You guys got any other ideas???
Anybody who is familiar with both computer systems I am building my own harnesses but I only know dodge systems

Old 10-11-2019, 03:34 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

She's peppy but i think somethings a little off still. I have thought about doing the timing chain but I barely drive it since I've gotten a work truck. Maybe 20 miles a week, other than when i go to the beach or oval dirt track. Ill check it out tomorrow morning if i have the time. It's gonna take a good minute to gather the money to do this. I haven't just given up on the 318 but i know I'll never get the power and driveability out of it that i want. And if i could id still need another 2 grand to get my transmission rebuilt and beefed up. I did put a "high flow" cat in it a couple weekends ago and a 14x3 air filter last weekend. It's got a 1 in 2 out flowmaster 44 for a little rumble too The 440 bb would be cool but then i wont get the driveability and fuel economy. I want it to look stock and not be obnoxiously loud. And not to mention NO fuel injection and a/c. I'm keeping the faded paint and original wheels though I just want to be able to smash it from a dig and smoke the tires off and still get 20 mpg cruising on the highway. I'll definitely be doing lots of "unnecessary" trips as my fiancee would call it

You can get EITHER tire smoking OR economy. My old '84 in good tune would get 18 mpg on the highway and if traction was a bit sloppy, spin the tires too. It was a work truck though and a good set of back up wheels.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Dave6498

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
You can get EITHER tire smoking OR economy. My old '84 in good tune would get 18 mpg on the highway and if traction was a bit sloppy, spin the tires too. It was a work truck though and a good set of back up wheels.
Haha that's not what I call smoking the tires

I drove a 2019 ram 5.7 with the new e tourque option.... It was stupid fast for a truck and it could smoke them down the entire street it felt like.. I let off after about 100 feet.. Don't worry, it was a rental though

Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Haha that's not what I call smoking the tires

I drove a 2019 ram 5.7 with the new e tourque option.... It was stupid fast for a truck and it could smoke them down the entire street it felt like.. I let off after about 100 feet.. Don't worry, it was a rental though

My '02 with the 4.7 will light the tires and is really a peppy truck. It's also thirsty. So like I said, you get power OR economy. If I keep my foot out f it, I'll get 18 on the highway. My usual mix between highway and town is 13-14.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I think you should stuff a 2 valve 6.8L V10 modular motor in it. And the 4R100 is a great transmission. You could do the 5.4 mod motor otherwise, but I love our 6.8

Old 10-18-2019, 11:28 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Or this would be awesome!

Old 10-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Larry Slater
Default Tranny swap with a 5.9

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Today's transmissions are computer controlled (even these trucks) and most manufacturers went to a separate tcm which usually takes inputs from other parts on the vehicle. The biggest challenge is the computer systems. Each manufacture uses a different one and they change ever so many years. The problem is nothing will communicate unless on that system. For example the 3rd gen Hemis run on PCI or CANBUS where most 2nd gens run on CCD. Now a Hemi will bolt right to our engine mounts, but won't communicate with the cluster as it is a CCD cluster and no a PCI or CANBUS. Not to mention the Hemi is drive by wire and a little more. Then you get into the tranny (which is separate from the ECM) now it needs inputs our trucks don't simply have so you have to buy a controller. Finally you get to the transfer case which is a different spline so you have to buy one and then more then likely get a custom driveshaft as the total lengths are different. The yolks are different if you don't use the 9.25 Chrysler Rear End (I have a Dana 80). You could know how to wire but it is knowing how the computer system operates which is the challenge. Luckily for me I was a Ram Tech and got all that information from the 3rd gens all the way to the 4th gens. I even gave everything to do with the 2nd gens.

Hopefully you can understand this
I have a 1998 5.9 ram 1500 V8 magnum. 4 speed. Question is what model of trucks and engine can I use as a tranny for it

Old 10-28-2019, 02:28 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Drop a turbo/super charger on it for about 5 grand, simple, easy to put on with all of the proper items to get it done in a weekend. The Ls6 I had in my Corvette was 405hp, 27 mpg on highway but that was a 3000 pound car and a bit more aero dynamics. What motor to put in, with the matching transmission or an adapter plate. Also you'll need to lengthen or shorten the driveshaft or maybe get lucky and it's the right length but the wrong size u-joint.

Last edited by PR1AWRet; 10-28-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:54 AM
Dave6498

Originally Posted by PR1AWRet
Drop a turbo/super charger on it for about 5 grand, simple, easy to put on with all of the proper items to get it done in a weekend. The Ls6 I had in my Corvette was 405hp, 27 mpg on highway but that was a 3000 pound car and a bit more aero dynamics. What motor to put in, with the matching transmission or an adapter plate. Also you'll need to lengthen or shorten the driveshaft or maybe get lucky and it's the right length but the wrong size u-joint.
Yeah i thought about doing a ebay single turbo setup. Roughly cost 1000 to pick and choose all the parts. Then the hiccups along the way. That's the tip of the iceberg though..... Then i have to get a custom tune, and I was kinda shocked when i seen hemi fevers prices.... So almost doubles it. Then comes the transmission... I've put roughly 10k miles on it since i got the truck and i HATE the 46re.... I do think it needs a new pressure governor sensor because the shifts are inconsistent and it will sometimes not engage for a second when it down shifts, unless I mash it and it seems fine.. So I'd rather completely swap everything. I mean by the time it's all said and done im in the hole 3500, for what... A 350 hp ticking time bomb and a crappy 4 speed. Rather spend 5 or 6 and have a reliable 400 ish and a 6 or 8 speed. I thought about buying a wrecked police charger because they are dirt cheap around where i live. Only problem is power steering. They come with electric power steering. I did find a kit for a 392 crate motor for retrofits. I'm not sure if that would bolt up or not though...

Quick Reply: Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?