2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:56 PM
Dave6498
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?

Im new to forums so please, if their is anything im doing wrong or any suggestions, pm me and I will edit this thread. It would be much appreciated!

So i recently bought my first dodge, against my better judgement because I've heard a ton of horror story's about wiring and transmission problems. And im a ford guy :/ (don't bash me please). I bought it though just because it was in great shape and ran perfect, with low miles and 2nd owner and it's been my 72 year old uncles truck. Its a 2001 1500 5.2 auto, all the goodies, and it's a 2 door short bed. 150k miles. 1100$. I just couldn't pass it up and im glad i didn't cause I've fallen in love, even though it's not as peppy as i want it.

Ok time to stop rambling and get onto the subject.

Why i want to do away with the 5.2 - im just not satisfied with the performance and after i looked into aftermarket parts, you can't find anything.. I can't even find a efi intake. If I could it would cost a arm, a leg and a kidney. And the fuel economy already sucks. By the time i track down parts and pay for them, I would have so much money and time invested, i could have done a motor/tranny swap for the same price and time.. I want a streetable, reliable 400 hp at the wheels. And i really want something that won't be that loud and attract a lot of attention. Also, Id prefer to do something different that not a lot of people have done, if any. And - A/C - is a must have because i live in Florida. I don't care if i have to jerry rig some stuff.

Ideas - 5.7l Hemi : I haven't seen very many of those done on the full size trucks. I'm not certain on what year they jumped the hp up to 390 but would it be feasible to do it?

3.5l Ecoboost : ok ok, i know your thinking about putting a noose around my neck now but we are all just car enthusiasts, and a lot of us are in it for the fun so please hear me out and keep a open mind... If you haven't drove one, do it. With a tune, It can easily hit over 400 at the wheels. You can't hear them running from 10 feet away. And to make life easy, they sell a complete plug and play kit. And yes some have issues but we have a work truck with one and it's got almost 300k miles and it hasn't been treated easy. It was a pm's truck and he was a jack@$$ with a lead foot. He put a cai and a tuner in it and despite the abuse, it hasn't had a single major repair. It hasn't been problem free though by any means.

I'm willing to consider anything as long as it's somewhat budget friendly. Something i can pull at a junkyard or buy a totaled donor vehicle at a auction preferably.

I can't really think of any other idea's other then a ls swap, but screw that Any ideas, opinions, and info would be awesome. And bring on the ford jokes. Won't hurt my feelings any no easily offended snowflakes please

Old 10-09-2019, 05:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave6498
Im new to forums so please, if their is anything im doing wrong or any suggestions, pm me and I will edit this thread. It would be much appreciated!

So i recently bought my first dodge, against my better judgement because I've heard a ton of horror story's about wiring and transmission problems. And im a ford guy :/ (don't bash me please). I bought it though just because it was in great shape and ran perfect, with low miles and 2nd owner and it's been my 72 year old uncles truck. Its a 2001 1500 5.2 auto, all the goodies, and it's a 2 door short bed. 150k miles. 1100$. I just couldn't pass it up and im glad i didn't cause I've fallen in love, even though it's not as peppy as i want it.

Ok time to stop rambling and get onto the subject.

Why i want to do away with the 5.2 - im just not satisfied with the performance and after i looked into aftermarket parts, you can't find anything.. I can't even find a efi intake. If I could it would cost a arm, a leg and a kidney. And the fuel economy already sucks. By the time i track down parts and pay for them, I would have so much money and time invested, i could have done a motor/tranny swap for the same price and time.. I want a streetable, reliable 400 hp at the wheels. And i really want something that won't be that loud and attract a lot of attention. Also, Id prefer to do something different that not a lot of people have done, if any. And - A/C - is a must have because i live in Florida. I don't care if i have to jerry rig some stuff.

Ideas - 5.7l Hemi : I haven't seen very many of those done on the full size trucks. I'm not certain on what year they jumped the hp up to 390 but would it be feasible to do it?

3.5l Ecoboost : ok ok, i know your thinking about putting a noose around my neck now but we are all just car enthusiasts, and a lot of us are in it for the fun so please hear me out and keep a open mind... If you haven't drove one, do it. With a tune, It can easily hit over 400 at the wheels. You can't hear them running from 10 feet away. And to make life easy, they sell a complete plug and play kit. And yes some have issues but we have a work truck with one and it's got almost 300k miles and it hasn't been treated easy. It was a pm's truck and he was a jack@$$ with a lead foot. He put a cai and a tuner in it and despite the abuse, it hasn't had a single major repair. It hasn't been problem free though by any means.

I'm willing to consider anything as long as it's somewhat budget friendly. Something i can pull at a junkyard or buy a totaled donor vehicle at a auction preferably.

I can't really think of any other idea's other then a ls swap, but screw that Any ideas, opinions, and info would be awesome. And bring on the ford jokes. Won't hurt my feelings any no easily offended snowflakes please
Any motor swap is going to cost at least 2K. You would need a custom wire harness, and tuning. Heck I'm already in 3K in my swap without the motor and tranny. Best and easiest is a 408. No EcoBoost will hit 400hp with a tune and a CAI. Welcome to the forums . A Hemi swap is best bang for the buck but is expensive. He is done things you will need (just the tip of the iceberg )
Custom wire harness
Someone to tune it
Custom Transmission controller
Depending on what motor a different gauge cluster (which may need to be custom)
The computer for said motor
And a whole list of others lol

Old 10-10-2019, 06:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

If you get the motor trans harness from a donor vehicle it may be easier. Incorporating it in with the existing stuff in the truck will be the hard part. If you are good with wiring then half the battle is over. It will stock HP so any other mods will be extra.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:16 AM
Dave6498

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you get the motor trans harness from a donor vehicle it may be easier. Incorporating it in with the existing stuff in the truck will be the hard part. If you are good with wiring then half the battle is over. It will stock HP so any other mods will be extra.
Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Any motor swap is going to cost at least 2K. You would need a custom wire harness, and tuning. Heck I'm already in 3K in my swap without the motor and tranny. Best and easiest is a 408. No EcoBoost will hit 400hp with a tune and a CAI. Welcome to the forums . A Hemi swap is best bang for the buck but is expensive. He is done things you will need (just the tip of the iceberg )
Custom wire harness
Someone to tune it
Custom Transmission controller
Depending on what motor a different gauge cluster (which may need to be custom)
The computer for said motor
And a whole list of others lol
Wiring won't be to much of a issue i have a decent grasp on it and i kind of enjoy it. And my father knows a lot more then i do and not to mention I have y'all :icon_biggrin. And why would I need a custom tcm moparfanatic? Also driveline has a good article with dyno sheets. Their's a lot of others out their also. Ecoboosts are tuned very conservatively. And with a tune and cai, it doesn't affect the drivability at all. I just really like the idea because it's something nobody has done and nobody would suspect

EDIT - so I checked online for ecoboost part vehicles or an entire motor/tranny with harness and ecm/tcm and I couldn't find much at all except one but they want 5 grand and I would still have to buy the pedal assembly, intercooler and exhaust(sensors included). So it just doesn't seem logical to me but i can double check when I come up with the money which is gonna take a good minute. So after seeing that I looked into the hemi's and the different models. I want to know what you guys think about doing a 2009+. I found one out of a 2016 charger r/t with the 8 speed and it comes with just about everything i will need. Im probably forgetting some stuff also cause today just ain't my day

I found it on eBay and went to their site to get all the info. Here it is [ http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=323888341044&cat egory=33615&pm=1&ds=0&t=1570716402833 ]
Let me know what you think and if im not aloud to post a website like this let me know and i will edit this again. And if you could tell me how to do it right Thanks guys for the insight

Last edited by Dave6498; 10-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Wiring won't be to much of a issue i have a decent grasp on it and i kind of enjoy it. And my father knows a lot more then i do and not to mention I have y'all :icon_biggrin. And why would I need a custom tcm moparfanatic? Also driveline has a good article with dyno sheets. Their's a lot of others out their also. Ecoboosts are tuned very conservatively. And with a tune and cai, it doesn't affect the drivability at all. I just really like the idea because it's something nobody has done and nobody would suspect
Today's transmissions are computer controlled (even these trucks) and most manufacturers went to a separate tcm which usually takes inputs from other parts on the vehicle. The biggest challenge is the computer systems. Each manufacture uses a different one and they change ever so many years. The problem is nothing will communicate unless on that system. For example the 3rd gen Hemis run on PCI or CANBUS where most 2nd gens run on CCD. Now a Hemi will bolt right to our engine mounts, but won't communicate with the cluster as it is a CCD cluster and no a PCI or CANBUS. Not to mention the Hemi is drive by wire and a little more. Then you get into the tranny (which is separate from the ECM) now it needs inputs our trucks don't simply have so you have to buy a controller. Finally you get to the transfer case which is a different spline so you have to buy one and then more then likely get a custom driveshaft as the total lengths are different. The yolks are different if you don't use the 9.25 Chrysler Rear End (I have a Dana 80). You could know how to wire but it is knowing how the computer system operates which is the challenge. Luckily for me I was a Ram Tech and got all that information from the 3rd gens all the way to the 4th gens. I even gave everything to do with the 2nd gens.

Hopefully you can understand this

Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Dave6498

Today's transmissions are computer controlled (even these trucks) and most manufacturers went to a separate tcm which usually takes inputs from other parts on the vehicle. The biggest challenge is the computer systems. Each manufacture uses a different one and they change ever so many years. The problem is nothing will communicate unless on that system. For example the 3rd gen Hemis run on PCI or CANBUS where most 2nd gens run on CCD. Now a Hemi will bolt right to our engine mounts, but won't communicate with the cluster as it is a CCD cluster and no a PCI or CANBUS. Not to mention the Hemi is drive by wire and a little more. Then you get into the tranny (which is separate from the ECM) now it needs inputs our trucks don't simply have so you have to buy a controller. Finally you get to the transfer case which is a different spline so you have to buy one and then more then likely get a custom driveshaft as the total lengths are different. The yolks are different if you don't use the 9.25 Chrysler Rear End (I have a Dana 80). You could know how to wire but it is knowing how the computer system operates which is the challenge. Luckily for me I was a Ram Tech and got all that information from the 3rd gens all the way to the 4th gens. I even gave everything to do with the 2nd gens.

Hopefully you can understand this

The only thing I don't understand is why I would need more then the motor and tranny harnesses and computers. And of course the drive by wire stuff. I'm assuming the Interior has some separate computer that gives feedback for stuff like traction and stability control, and other stuff along those lines?

Old 10-10-2019, 06:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The only thing I don't understand is why I would need more then the motor and tranny harnesses and computers. And of course the drive by wire stuff. I'm assuming the Interior has some separate computer that gives feedback for stuff like traction and stability control, and other stuff along those lines?
You have to use your computer as a piggyback. It gets complicated. Imagine this everything in your truck right now speaks English and can understand each other. Now when you install a new driveline that speaks Arabic (not factory) the truck can't understand it unless your factory computer translates it for the truck.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I’ve heard of LS swaps into RAM’s.
Like other swaps, customer harness is needed.
That would be Trifecta... Ford guy putting a GM engine into a Dodge.

The following users liked this post:
2bit (10-17-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Dave6498

You have to use your computer as a piggyback. It gets complicated. Imagine this everything in your truck right now speaks English and can understand each other. Now when you install a new driveline that speaks Arabic (not factory) the truck can't understand it unless your factory computer translates it for the truck.
Ok i see. Who would be able to do that? Some sort of speed shop? I've heard about hemifever a few times on here doing custom tunes also. Would i need to buy a tuner for him to do it? Any info helps
Originally Posted by Spillage
I’ve heard of LS swaps into RAM’s.
Like other swaps, customer harness is needed.
That would be Trifecta... Ford guy putting a GM engine into a Dodge.
I knew i had to do a custom harness to begin with but I didnt think i needed a custom tune if I had ecm/tcm, sensors, etc.. And even though I'm a ford guy, I'll drive anything American, that's been proven. The ls is one of the best motors ever built. You probably won't agree cause your a mopar guy. I give credit where credit is due though. I just prefer ford, but their is some Ford's i would never buy. To sit their and argue about which brand is better is ridiculous. They all have great cars and crappy ones

Is swaps are just to generic nowadays though and i want something different. Not saying it wouldn't be bad@$$ though

You guys got any other ideas???

Old 10-11-2019, 12:14 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Ok i see. Who would be able to do that? Some sort of speed shop? I've heard about hemifever a few times on here doing custom tunes also. Would i need to buy a tuner for him to do it? Any info helps

I knew i had to do a custom harness to begin with but I didnt think i needed a custom tune if I had ecm/tcm, sensors, etc.. And even though I'm a ford guy, I'll drive anything American, that's been proven. The ls is one of the best motors ever built. You probably won't agree cause your a mopar guy. I give credit where credit is due though. I just prefer ford, but their is some Ford's i would never buy. To sit their and argue about which brand is better is ridiculous. They all have great cars and crappy ones

Is swaps are just to generic nowadays though and i want something different. Not saying it wouldn't be bad@$$ though

You guys got any other ideas???

If you want a drivetrain that will give you a CBA card, , drop a 440 big block in it. I don't know if one will fit in a second gen but it will in the first as it was an option until 1978. Now, if you REALLY want visual appeal at car shows, put long ram induction intakes from the early 60's in it. Wall to wall engine.

Personally, I think if you just do some basic maintenance on the truck, it will probably be a little more energetic. Not pin your ears back, but enough to get around. At 150K, your timing chain is probably getting worn. You can check how much slop by pulling the distributor cap and using a marker, note the location of the rotor. Now make a chalk mark on the harmonic balancer. See how far backwards you can rotate the engine before the rotor starts to move. It should move right away but unless your chain is new, it won't.10 or 20 degrees rotation and you need to replace the timing set. Your power will go up and fuel consumption will go down.

As for brands, I'm rather negotiable in virtue when it comes to a brand. I'll drive anything if I get a good deal. I've had everything from a 1972 Audi 100GL to a Z28 Camaro and plenty in between. I've owned somewhere between 250 and 300 cars and trucks in my life.

Quick Reply: Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?