2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 02:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave6498
Yeah i thought about doing a ebay single turbo setup. Roughly cost 1000 to pick and choose all the parts. Then the hiccups along the way. That's the tip of the iceberg though..... Then i have to get a custom tune, and I was kinda shocked when i seen hemi fevers prices.... So almost doubles it. Then comes the transmission... I've put roughly 10k miles on it since i got the truck and i HATE the 46re.... I do think it needs a new pressure governor sensor because the shifts are inconsistent and it will sometimes not engage for a second when it down shifts, unless I mash it and it seems fine.. So I'd rather completely swap everything. I mean by the time it's all said and done im in the hole 3500, for what... A 350 hp ticking time bomb and a crappy 4 speed. Rather spend 5 or 6 and have a reliable 400 ish and a 6 or 8 speed. I thought about buying a wrecked police charger because they are dirt cheap around where i live. Only problem is power steering. They come with electric power steering. I did find a kit for a 392 crate motor for retrofits. I'm not sure if that would bolt up or not though...
An older Charger should have the regular power steering. A 545RFE will bolt up to the magnums just need a transmission controller for it (they are made for that Transmission)

Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 PM
Dave6498
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
An older Charger should have the regular power steering. A 545RFE will bolt up to the magnums just need a transmission controller for it (they are made for that Transmission)
Thanks for the info! Didn't know that..

Old 10-29-2019, 07:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave6498
Thanks for the info! Didn't know that..
Don't quote me on the older Charger PS but to my knowledge they didn't come out until later. Even if the 545 didn't bolt up (99% sure it will) they make an adapter plate for it. It's doable and they are a reliable transmission. I would look into the 6spd as the 8spd requires the **** shifter and I have yet to tackle that obstacle

Quick Reply: Late model Motor/tranny swap ideas?