2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 05:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 376 Likes on 354 Posts

I was looking for clear lens housings for mine and it kept asking if it was or was not a sport. The early ones where the same so it doesn't matter. If you are confused about parts you can post here for an answer.

Old 07-21-2024, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

The sport package has been around from the beginning, but, originally, it was just body color bumpers/grill, and that's about it. With the 98.5 refresh, the sport model got a different front bumper, grill, and dual bulb headlights. Only the sport trucks got the dual bulbs. Your truck has been modified (obviously.... ) from how it came from the factory. Likely the chrome grille was installed because that's what the front bumper was designed for.

Old 07-21-2024, 04:08 PM
sixways
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The sport package has been around from the beginning, but, originally, it was just body color bumpers/grill, and that's about it. With the 98.5 refresh, the sport model got a different front bumper, grill, and dual bulb headlights. Only the sport trucks got the dual bulbs. Your truck has been modified (obviously.... ) from how it came from the factory. Likely the chrome grille was installed because that's what the front bumper was designed for.
Haha yeah I'm a little slow and late to my own Dodge party. Mine's def got the dual bulbs so that mystery is solved and am going with "I have a 99 Quadcab Sport". While digging around for a replacement kit vinyl wrap for the pillars (can't find it) I did find the kit for the 304 polished stainless steel sides, discontinued. Yup, aftermarket, but helps when am going through sagebrush and that puzzle's now solved haha..
While looking on Carid for headlights (good sale right now) almost pulled trig but got to thinking about that bumper up front and access. Yikes. Was out at 2 a.m. with a flashlight and driver's side I MIGHT be able to unscrew the sidemarker, passenger with my thinnest phillips enh. Even using an offset thin profile from underneath to free the sides, I fear I'm not going to have the clearance needed to wiggle the fronts out n back in, that bumper don't flex. If I have to drop the bumper it's going to need taken somewhere with equipment to handle that weight. I'm def not loosening bolts while underneath there haha. Headed out today with a 3M headlights restore kit. Will post pics if it works, hope so cuz dropping that beast is not in my summer plans.

Quick Reply: 1999 Sport 1500 5.9 4x package questions / chrome