2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 03:33 AM
blazelefty7
Default RE: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

Whoa killer...it's just a dash, replace it. Things break, its a fact of life. I think that because my tires have worn over the last 20,000 miles that i should sue Bridgestone...anyway i have a 96 and there's no problems with my mexican dash, but you're not gonna win any lawsuit about it.

Old 03-08-2007 | 05:16 AM
jisthangin01
Professional

I've actually heard that if a dash is armoralled all the time, and than you stop using it, the sun beating down on it can crack it more easily than if it was never armoralled or if it was continuously armoralled. Don't know how much truth there is to it though. But it's a thought.

Old 03-08-2007 | 06:15 AM
ShakyJay
Rookie

My 1999 dash is cracked. Well that is an understatement, it is cracked all to h**ll and has been for several years. I didn't use amorall and it does have a cover. This is a problem that is somewhat common. Some people think it has to do with the way they were installed causing some type of twisting or stress. Many of these dashes began cracking before the warranty was up on the truck but Dodge would still deny claims because they are not covered or they would blame it on sun, heat , armorall or any other excuse. Unfortunately it is a cosmetic issue so there is not much support to pressure them to take responsibility. Dodge has a history of not stepping up to the plate. Just look at what it took to get them to fix the catalytic converters. There seems to be some people here that have not had any problems therefore they are not sympathetic to the issue.Doesn't mean there is not an issue just means that they don't understand. Unfortunately this misunderstanding sometimes leads to some pretty harshstatements and conclusions. Personally I say give the guy a break. He has a legitimate complaint. I know because I've had the problem. Will he be successful in his endeavor, probably not but I commend him for his effort. Just because this is a Dodge forum doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to point out the flaws in the vehicle.

Old 03-08-2007 | 10:07 AM
Slade901

My 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 5.9L V8 has a crack dash as well. I have other trucks as well but this is the first truck I have that it just crack all over like crackers. I am interested and I would certainly join in once this thing is started. I've read somewhere that it will cost $700 or more to replace this dash.

Old 03-08-2007 | 10:16 AM
982500Ram
Rookie

Good post ShakyJay....if we didn't talk about the flaws here we would be driving around with leaking plenum gaskets failing our emissions tests. I love the truck and I think Dodge has some really nice products....but they should act like men and stand behind them and admit when they make a mistake. You are right obviously some people don't understand .....until their dash turns into a jigsaw puzzle ......all of a sudden they understand then.

Old 03-08-2007 | 10:51 AM
2001mustang_gt
Professional

I understand your pain....my jigsaw puzzle doesnt have all the pieces anymore

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:40 AM
robformus

I also have a 1999 Ram 1500 4X4 quad cab 5.9 my dash is cracked to hell and backI neveruse amorall. My truck has a dash cover on it and the dash still cracked I live in Florida. I love my dodge but if the dash is a common problem it would be nice for Dodge to do something about it. Well best of lick with Dodge

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:58 AM
bamory
Captain

Mine didnt crack till I read this post.............thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2007 | 11:59 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

well if your actually going to make a legal issue out of this, just make sure you realize its not just 99-01s like you said in your first post. my 95 is cracking bad, but then again its 12 years old.

if your truck was inside the warranty i would completely agree with you. i just think when you buy a vehicle with a warranty, your understanding that when its up, its your responsibility. but like i said earlier if you work a lot with this particular dealer, then maybe they should help you out. but i just doubt your lawsuit idea will work.

Old 03-08-2007 | 12:04 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: rcr2931

I own a 2000 Dodge Ram Laramie 4X4 with only 3,586 miles. I purchased the truck new
and it has been garage kept. I recently discovered that the dash is riddled with large
distinctive cracks. Within a week of searching the small town I live in, I found four other
99-01 Ram owners with the same exact dash problem. After visiting my local
Chrysler/Dodge dealership, from which I purchased my truck and talking with the service
manager I was told by him, “that there was nothing he could do and he had never heard of
this problem with the dashes.” I then asked when the Daimler Chrysler dealer
representative would be in so I could speak with him and attempt to solve my problem.
The service manager arrogantly told me, “the dealer representative would than likely not
want to speak with me and the he has more important things to worry about.” I then
made a call to the Daimler Chrysler customer service line and after many automated
phone prompts and very extensive wait times, I was transferred to other representatives in
a game of phone crises cross I was finally told that I could not be helped, because my
warranty had expired. After seeing how extremely common this dash problem is via
dodgeforum, I am proposing to anyone with the ***** and self respect that we come and
stand together and take legal action. It is time to force the corporate Goliath known as
Daimler Chrysler to take responsibility for it’s cheaply and extremely overpriced
automobiles assembled in Mexico and to tend to their so called “valued customers”.
Anyone who is interested please reply this post or send me a message.

Ram Tough.... what a damn joke.

You may acctually not be out of warranty. You only have 3xxx mi, so your still covered on the mileage side, but did you know, the TIME based warranty (ie. 3yr warranty) starts the date of the FIRST servicing at the dealer. So, if you have not had your truck serviced by the dealer, its still under warranty. If you have, hope it was within the time period noted on your warranty (3 yrs ago or whatnot). Thats a little tidbit of info i came across at a carshow last year when someone had a 1970 challanger that was still under warranty, because it was never at the dealer, and had 1,xxx mi on the odo. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes