2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 12:02 PM
alcedo
Rookie
Default RE: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes

The dashes...including mine 1999 1500 4x4 are defective, was it the install or defective materials...who knows ? Chrysler should fix them.

Old 05-01-2007 | 03:35 PM
robformus

Here is a link to a local news site that is trying to get something done about the broken dashes...If the dash gets bad enough it turns into a safty problem...The news site said that there are people that are having electrical problems due to direct sun light to the wiring. http://www.local6.com/news/13227601/detail.html

Old 05-01-2007 | 06:50 PM
Mayfair
Legend

http://www.local6.com/news/13227601/detail.html

WOW what an AWESOME find !!!!!!!!

I'd HIGHLY reccomend that you follow up not only with the news stationbut also with the number that the news station said to call.

AWESOME video !!!

It looks like they just aired it yesterday too, so act NOW !!

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:00 PM
robformus

I had all ready contacted the newstation and I sent them a link the this forumI alsosent them Pics of the BIG holes in my dash...The news station gave a link to the web site for auto safty and i went to that site and filled in my info about the dash

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:44 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

to any and all people wanting there dash replaced in the ATL area I wil do it on the side and I can get the part at 15% over cost at my dealer. email me

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:08 PM
Pyromanaron
Professional

Parts of my dash are held together by broken pieces of plastic ruler hot glued on both sides of the crack. But that happened before I bought it from my grandparents.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:56 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Dig the sig, Pyromanaron ... have to agree.

Old 05-03-2007 | 02:26 AM
swirvin21

I have a 1998 Ram 2500 with the dark gray pad, no cracks, sits outside all day, every day.

I work for national insurance company as an auto insurance appraiser and I have observed quite a few of these dash cracks. First question, do you have the dark gray dash-almost black? This one is most likely to crack due to temperature due to it's color. Unfortunately, it's also the most expensive to replace, a couple hundred more than the lighter gray version. Usually this damage is due to stress, not temperature. Your dash could be too tight, try loosening the mounts slightly and reseting it. It won't fix it, but may keep them from getting any bigger.

There are a couple options for you: 1)There is an aftermarket dash pad available for about $200-300 in that exact color which is the best option. They are pretty simple to replace as the dash is a multiple piece unit. 2) You can buy a dashpad...yeah it's a little ugly, but I recently got one (for free, wouldn't pay for one since my dash is good). It actually has a couple advantages: no slip surface, keeps the interior a little cooler in the summer, and doesn't require as much cleaning. I would put a couple velcro tabs to hold it where you want. 3) Try to repair it. You can dye Super Glue to a degree with food coloring, but you better be FAST!!! You can also try to inject some into the tube. If you're not that fast, put a small amount in the cracks-DEEP, let it set, scuff it slightly and put some color over it and then put a very thin layer over it. Take a scuff pad, something with a very high count and scuff it again to get rid of the shine. Not perfect, but maybe better.

I don't recall the vendor for the aftermarket pad, but they advertise in the back of most Truck Mags...

Your dash isn't the only one and Dodge isn't the only maker with issues. I understand your frustration, but it's less of a warranty issue and more of a material risk. Moisturizers, not Armorall will help prevent damage.

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2007 | 06:42 PM
lawnpro

If you have pictures of the broken dash send them to scooper@local6.com A.S.A.P. The reporter is taking them to dodge headquarters

Old 05-04-2007 | 02:51 AM
99Ram4x4

my 99 dash is cracked bad too. It be nice if they would start selling a cheap replacement for it at least since it is a common problem. (maybe there is one but I have only seen covers)

Quick Reply: Time to take legal action concerning cracked dashes