2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Torque App and Bluetooth OBD Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:11 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque App and Bluetooth OBD Adapter

I was browsing information on this topic, the torque app, and the little bluetooth adapters for your OBDII port, mostly in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...w-and-vid.html

Thought it was super cool and went to check out ebay for one of the adapters and I came across this search

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

The thing I was curious about is well...which one do I get? Is there a big difference between any of these? and what is the difference between V1.4 and V1.5? Does anyone run this thing? It sounded pretty cool to me and quite cheap.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

v1.4 vs. v1.5 is version numbers, higher the number, later the version. So, v1.5 is the latest and greatest. Some of them even come with software, so, if you have a bluetooth enabled laptop/notebook/netbook, you can install the software, and monitor some of the data. Kind of a neat little tool.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard the ebay ones arent the greatest, and dont always work. but im going to get one this week i think and hook it to my droid. its only 5 bucks for the app. so ill be able to monitor my trans temp and such with out all the expensive gauges!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah I bought one after reading that thread too... From all the research I could do and actual reviews from those who had first hand experience and not hearesay the ebay adapter works fine (ELM327 one anyway) unless you have a ford... Just youtube it to see how well it really works..They see to be plenty fast and responsive enough.
The thing is they arent supported as well as the local distributers who take that exact same adapter and slap different stickers on it and sell with different software calling it something else and offering tech support (and making the price up to 6 times what they buy them for)... If you know how bluetooth devices work and dont mind figuring out the details yourself it seems to be a great adapter for under 20 bucks... Ill have mine tues or thursday.. I just hope my 96 has enough OBD II sensors and such actually on the system and working with torque because they were kind of crossing over in 96 and 97 which is why many power programmers wont work.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 11-13-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also bought one after reading that thread. I got the ELM one but off amazon. I was first thinking of using it as far as the gauges but it's a little too laggy for me. But, I keep it in my console, and a week ago I was driving and my CEL came on so I just pulled over and plugged it in and checked the code, so it came in very handy in that respect.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 PM
FC3S Murray

I run this program with the adapter from PLX. I like the program but dodges support sucks in regards to additional PID's that chevy and foed have for their specific scan tools. Apparently dodges are super secret from headquarters.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran

What PID's are not available for Dodge's?

Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
ive heard the ebay ones arent the greatest, and dont always work. but im going to get one this week i think and hook it to my droid. its only 5 bucks for the app. so ill be able to monitor my trans temp and such with out all the expensive gauges!
It's free. The $5 version supports lap times. I got mine off of ebay and love it. Great insight. If you buy it off of Amazon, STAY AWAY FROM A SELLER CALLED NEW HARBOR!!! I JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE THAT'S A BLUE TOOTH VERSION AND THEY SENT ME ONE THAT ISN'T BLUE TOOTH. IT'S A USB VERSION AND THERE BEING REAL DIFFICULT ABOUT THERE RETURN POLICY EVEN THOUGH THEY ADMITTED IT WAS THERE FAULT.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
FC3S Murray

Originally Posted by wyomingdodge7
What PID's are not available for Dodge's?
Knock sensor monitoring and transmission temp.

Pretty much the two important ones in regards to these 2nd gen Rams.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FC3S Murray
Knock sensor monitoring
It'd be a significant technical challenge to get that one implemented.

Quick Reply: Torque App and Bluetooth OBD Adapter