2nd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 2nd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Inside The Stock 'Kegger' Intake Manifold - UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside The Stock 'Kegger' Intake Manifold - UNBELIEVABLE !!!

Ever wonder why the stock Magnum engines are so hard on gas and has such a problem producing power? These pics are of the inside of a stock '99 V8 intake manifold and MAN WHAT A MESS from the factory! Notice all the protruding casting ridges, rough edges on the runners and all the square edges which causes a tremendous amount of air turbulence and misdirected air flow.

Now take a look at the unbelievable alignment of the runner ports to the heads! The previous gasket marks show ports to be off about 1/4" on the top and a good 1/16" on the sides. Also notice the flow pattern marks (clean area) on the injector ports.

Boredom has a way of making a man do some stupid things so I decided to purchase a complete intake manifold with TB and modify them both with the intake having the aluminum belly pan. It's going to take me a while because of these damn arthritic hands but it'll be a little more fulfilling than sitting around listening to the grass grow!! The TB will be a polished full 50mm air flow. This will be for sale when I'm finished but I have no idea as to when they will be done or how much my asking price will be until I'm finished. Here's what the intake and TB will look like when I'm finished.

Name:  P1100060.jpg
Views: 3995
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like every other manufacturer in the 90's and prior. That's the whole reason "ported and polished" was so popular among enthusiasts. Since the early 00's, most manufacturers have done a lot more porting and polishing from the factory-it's one of the biggest reasons why horsepower and fuel economy has gone up so much.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:29 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by mantisman51
Like every other manufacturer in the 90's and prior. That's the whole reason "ported and polished" was so popular among enthusiasts. Since the early 00's, most manufacturers have done a lot more porting and polishing from the factory-it's one of the biggest reasons why horsepower and fuel economy has gone up so much.
I totally agree with that statement!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
Yes sir, a little work with a die grinder when changing that plenum plate can make quite a difference. Am also in the process of modifying a JY manifold.

Got waylaid by my waterwell casing developing a hole in it, but things are back on track now. Back to work on the Dodge.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate to burst your bubble, but the mods you've done to that intake have been performed by many of us Second Gen owners.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Arde
All Star

Has anyone tried filling in the large void in the roof of the plenum with foam and then coating it with epoxy to cut down on the volume without restricting the flow of air to the runners? Also filling the corners where I understand there are high pressure areas?

I'm considering doing this myself after making a making a makeshift flowbench. Don't really know if it would be beneficial or not.

If not, I'll forget it and stick with the conventional mods.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:58 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I hate to burst your bubble, but the mods you've done to that intake have been performed by many of us Second Gen owners.
I'm not saying I'm the first to mod an intake and yes it has been done by a lot of people to a lot of intakes. All I'm trying to point out is the condition of a factory stock intake for some of those who may have never seen the inside of one before!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Jigabop
Champion

too much work... I would just go to something like this:

Old 09-13-2012, 09:09 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
too much work... I would just go to something like this:
Did. Only $200 more than repairing the plenum on the kegger hand a lot more beneficial.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Arde
All Star

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Did. Only $200 more than repairing the plenum on the kegger hand a lot more beneficial.
True enough, but some of us have to settle for doing the best we can with what we've got, which is more time than money.

Quick Reply: Inside The Stock 'Kegger' Intake Manifold - UNBELIEVABLE !!!