2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replacing tstat

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:55 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: replacing tstat

Why would the bore walls wear faster with a 180 stat compared to a 195?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Metal expands when heated ... the cylinders "grow" while warming up. If they are kept cooler, they will not expand as much (we're talking VERY tiny amounts here) so the pistons and their rings will sit tighter in the bore ... leading to increased wear ... over time.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If your saying the "cylinders grows" when warming up (heat expansion), wouldn't that mean that they would grow bigger (for lack of a better word) at 195 then at 180, so the pistons and rings should be tighter at a higher temp, not a lower temp.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

The pistons and rings start off smaller than the bore. Yes, as the bore expands, so do the pistons but since they start out smaller, they expand less (given an equal expansion ratio). The hotter the engine gets, the looser it gets ... until the oil thins out so much that it cant lubricate enough ... leading to seizure.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some of the exhaust gas is water in the form of steam,
some is CO2, some is NO2, some is NOx where x is 3, 6, etc.

These 'acidic' gases do cause a little corrosion of the metal bore walls by themselves just as gases, but the corrosion will get A LOT worse if the steam condenses to liquid water on the bore walls.

For the water to stay steam the bore walls need to stay above 212 degrees F. The metal bore walls will always be 15-30 degrees hotter than the coolant behind the wall they are transfering heat to, but if the thermostat is changed to something low enough the bore walls can start condensing liquid water and acids during the exhaust stroke which rapidly increases wear.

Continental Engine did most of the research on this. Most automotive technology textbooks have a graph showing bore wear vs coolant temperature.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: HankL

Some of the exhaust gas is water in the form of steam,
some is CO2, some is NO2, some is NOx where x is 3, 6, etc.

These 'acidic' gases do cause a little corrosion of the metal bore walls by themselves just as gases, but the corrosion will get A LOT worse if the steam condenses to liquid water on the bore walls.

For the water to stay steam the bore walls need to stay above 212 degrees F. The metal bore walls will always be 15-30 degrees hotter than the coolant behind the wall they are transfering heat to, but if the thermostat is changed to something low enough the bore walls can start condensing liquid water and acids during the exhaust stroke which rapidly increases wear.

Continental Engine did most of the research on this. Most automotive technology textbooks have a graph showing bore wear vs coolant temperature.
But this isn't straight water, it's a mix of water and ethylene glycol. It won't turn to steam at 212ºF

Old 05-03-2007, 02:23 AM
lv360ram
Captain

[sm=rant.gif] I have read alot of posts about thermostats and this post is the last straw for me. I have to take out my almost 180deg stat before the cool weather this fall or my CEL will come on. So, it doesn't seem worthwhile to put in another 180 stat for the performance advantage because I have read more posts that sway me back to installing the factory stat. Thanks to everyone for the info that helped me make my decision final, done,[sm=sigh.gif] the end.

Quick Reply: replacing tstat