2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door speaker questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door speaker questions.

I've had an ongoing problem with my radio. When the termperature is cold, it sounds fine (like all winter long). When it warms up though (spring/summer), the sound gets full of static, like I have a blown speaker or something. I'm going to get new door speakers to see if that fixes it first, and have a couple of questions.

-What sizes can I fit behind the stock door panels?
-How do you remove the door panels?
-When you remove the door panels, does it break the clips (i.e.do I need to buy new clips to reinstall the door panels)?

Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM
nascarnut
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Door speaker questions.

I can't say as that I have removed the door panels on my 96 but I did replace the speakers on my 91 once. It took taking a few screws out, the door handle off and then pulling back on it. If your careful, you won't have to buy new clips. I would recomments slilconing the panel back on or something to avoid a loose fit or rattling. When you get this done, please tell me how it goes, I've been wanteing to replace my door speakers as well.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:42 PM
LomcevakDuck
Rookie

In my 95 ram the front two speakers are 6x9s and the rears are 5 1/4. They are shallow though, so be careful. I wanted to put in a three way speaker up front but only had room for two- ways. It wasn't too dificult to remove the panel, just three screws per side (two in each handle cup and one by the mirror access panel) but I did end up breaking about a third of my clips, and the ones that didn't break were about worn out from 12 years of road vibrations. BE CAREFUL- the power window/power lock switch mounts were VERY brittle in my door.

-Steve

Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

https://dodgeforum.com/m_722530/tm.htm

The clips usually dont break, but sometimes the actual plastic on the door panel will break.....You shouldnt havea problem using the clips you have. I have took my panels off like 3 times and still have most of the clips.I do highly suggest getting a panel removal tool.....helps to not break the clips/
You can pretty much fit any speaker in the doors....jst watch mounting depth.. https://dodgeforum.com/m_773176/tm.htm

Old 04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

-What sizes can I fit behind the stock door panels? front = 6x9 (careful on depth and tweeter protrusion). rear=5 1/4. i fit in 6x9 4way rockfords with 3in depth, about 1/4in tweeter protrusion, with minimal (and acceptable) door panel bulge.

-How do you remove the door panels? buy the $10 panel removal tool. worth every penny and then some. it eliminates risk of breaking the door panels. slip in a putty knife first and locate the first clip, then catch them with the notch of the tool. rear panels are trickier, see second post above. i tried to explain it, ask any questions.

-When you remove the door panels, does it break the clips (i.e.do I need to buy new clips to reinstall the door panels)? no, they are reusable.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 AM
96_59L

i have a 96 extended cab and pretty much both rear speakers are shot. how easy is it to get to them and do i have to remove the back seat?

Old 04-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Dano61

To see what size fits behind the door skins, go to: www.crutchfield.com they have a great appl on the web that will tell you what will fit, what will fit with modifications, and what won't fit. Great info there. Let me know if this helps!!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 AM
ShakyJay
Rookie

Fronts are 6X9 and rears are 5 1/2 at least on my 99 they were. When I replaced them recently I put in Pioneers. 5 1/2 is not easy to find but 5 1/4 works fine.After looking at the rear I am not sure but I think it would actually be possible to use some 6 inch speaker with very little modification. As I recall in the front somewhere around a 3" depth is what was there originally. The replacements I used were same depth. Tweeter did push out slightly but did not interfere with door panel.Since I have the Infinity I was told I could notjust replacebecause of amps mounted on front speakers. I was also given different info as to ohms on them. Was told that originals were 2 ohms and then told they were 8 ohms.. Pulled them out and tested and they were 7.6 (that is 8 since the resistance will never be exact). Replacements were 4 ohm and I was able to mount the amps on them by using longer self tapping screws into the speaker basket.Havenot blown anything out yet. I figured worse case I couldeither put in a second front and rear speaker and wire them in series to bring it up close to 8 ohms or just put in speakers for apa system that are 8 ohm. Wasn't necessary at least in my case the amp is handlingthe lower resistance just fine.Pulling off door panels is really not difficult. Just take screw out by the side mirror at the top and the ones in the grip on the panel. Then pry around the edges and locate the clips. Carfully pry out each clip. A thin flat screwdriver works but would beeasier with the panel removal tool. As mentioned breaking theplastic on the panelispretty commonso just be careful but don't be surprised if you do break one or two of the clip slots. Back panels come off pretty easy and no the seat does not have to come out. These have metal clips attached and the top is easy to break off so be careful. Plastic clips are reusable at least the first couple of times. They are cheap and you can get them at most auto parts so that should not be a concern. If you are concerned just go ahead and buy a few to have on hand. I've had mine off several times since I've had to replace window regulator and was trying to troubleshoot the speaker problems. It is nice to have all the speakers working again.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:15 PM
DuranguenzeRam
Rookie

i went the wrong way and broke some clips to top it off the speaker i took off and installed some new pioneers on the back 5 1/4 doesnt work im thinking it probably has to do with the wiring since its was stock. So in order not to be annoyed by it not workign hooked up an amp to my kenwood. Be careful make sure you have an idea what youre doing, in my case i just cant work on my truck in the rain/sleet/snow in chicago we have like 4 nice days a month and im stuck working those.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

I replaced my front speakers with Infinity Reference 6x9's and they dropped right in with no modifications. The rear doors called for 5.25" speakers but 6.5" fit just fine, all I had to do was redrill the mounting screws. The door panels are a pain to remove without breaking something but just get that panel tool and work around the panel slowly and you will be ok. Since you dont have the Infinity system you wont have to run new wireing to the speaker from the deck, just use some t-taps and tap into the factory harness with some speaker wire in the door.

Quick Reply: Door speaker questions.