2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turning Shimmy

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:20 AM
mdrohman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning Shimmy

My truck sort of shimmies when I turn. It acts like its in 4wd (I don't really know that it isn't for sure besides the lever beingin 2hi and no light on the dash). The steering wheel just jerkes just like if it were locked in 4wd. It doesn't do anything weird at highway speeds and I don't think it does anything weird below 5 mph - I can't really tell. Has anyone had anything like this before? Maybe its an alignment thing? Thanks for any responses.

Matt

PS - I did lift the front left wheel off the ground and spin it and the driveshaft didn't spin so I assume that also means its not in 4wd.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: Turning Shimmy

ORIGINAL: mdrohman

My truck sort of shimmies when I turn. It acts like its in 4wd (I don't really know that it isn't for sure besides the lever beingin 2hi and no light on the dash). The steering wheel just jerkes just like if it were locked in 4wd. It doesn't do anything weird at highway speeds and I don't think it does anything weird below 5 mph - I can't really tell. Has anyone had anything like this before? Maybe its an alignment thing? Thanks for any responses.

Matt

PS - I did lift the front left wheel off the ground and spin it and the driveshaft didn't spin so I assume that also means its not in 4wd.
If just the left front was off the ground and the drive shaft didn't turn somthing is broke!
When you turn one of the three (LF,RF or DS) if all the gears in the diff are intact and the axles are not broke one of the other two has to turn.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

Nope ... the inner half shaft on the passenger side is turning in the opposite direction of the driver's side. The driveshaft never moves until 4wd is engaged.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year and how many miles? Mine was doing something very similar. Bad ball joints.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:30 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

Nope ... the inner half shaft on the passenger side is turning in the opposite direction of the driver's side. The driveshaft never moves until 4wd is engaged.
Only on the old ones with the cad system.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your frontuniversal joints are bad. I had the exact same problem. It felt like I was in four wheel drive on dry pavement. Only happened at slow speed because you would never be able to turn the wheel that sharp at high speeds. Not a tough job but plan on a couple of hours.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:39 PM
TMS Bill
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

ORIGINAL: TMS Bill

Only on the old ones with the cad system.
I would hope that's what he's talking about ... all the 2nd Gen 4x4's I know of use the CAD system.

Quick Reply: Turning Shimmy