2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 12:18 AM
R. Phillips
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit

I thank you for the help but i have done my rersearch on the tire i want and sizes. I'm wanting to go with aGoodyear wrangler mt/r 305/70/17 on a 17x8 rim which should run a 34 yes factory rims, or a 285/70/17 on the same rim which should be a 33. i would like to run a bridgestone dueller mt which i have had are great but they don't offer it in a 17 inch rim. BFGoodrinch would be my other option. Russell from TN

Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

MTR's are a crap tire. Hope you don't have all the probems other people have had with them. From wearing uneven, causing vibrations, and I know first hand how much they suck off-road. Its up to you, but thats what I have seen from those expensive over-rated tires.

I am running 285/75/16's on mine. No rubbing or anything. No lift, although I am going to do the 2" spacer in the front because I am tired of it not sitting level. I am running an agressive all terrain by Wild Country. I love them. They remind me of BFG Muds, but a little less agressive.

Old 09-12-2004, 04:42 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

R. Phillips,

You have to be kidding.. A GOODYEAR?? You claim to have done research?? What a joke!!

Yep a joke, what a tire to run..MTR's are certainly of quality. Finally GY came out with a quality product, unbelievable sidewall and a load range "E" not like any other tire. There "Durwall 10 ply sidewall" speaks for itself! Goodyear is not had a leading name in the off-road industry, "projects" that are only available to the race industry, with the addition to a reasonable check, does not count.
Just so happens I do not care for any "GoodYear" offroad tire, sidewall protection is the worst in this industry. In addition, never worked in offroad. So I get the chance to obtain a very new set of 315-75-16 MTR's off a buddy (here is also on this board) I ran them for 35,000+ with great, wonderful, superb, wow, holy-****..LUCK! The only reason they are still not on the truck, is a ball joint failed, chopped up a tire. Regardless, this is a great product.
I use tire manufactures for a living, contingency programs, and benefits, make or break me. "I" have yet to use Goodyear offroad, but I will tell you when I see a good product. The MTR is a great tire.
R. Phillips I doubt that a 305..will be a 34" tire, but why don't you purchase a set and measure them and send a photo...

BTW GoodYear does not have a contingency program for MTR's, but I still will stand behind this product. They are trying to make it to market.
Also I was not aware, that in 99 dodge had factory 17" wheels. I wouldn't doubt it, but never seen it.

Good luck to you... I'm surprised that you asked anything considering your research... You already know everything..

Oh..P.S....... I ...own a little shop, that caters to the off-road RACE industry, I build, race and support....

Keep up your research...Actually why don't you take the time (like I did) and educate us?? I'm all ears!

Oh..... You can't... Let me fill in the blanks, You want a truck with big tires, but you cant afford a lift. You don't care about about usability, just how It looks. You need big tires. Regardless of any function. I'm assuming that you will finance the rubber.

I'm irritated from your post "but i have done my research on the tire i want and sizes"... SO why ask??? You made up your mind?? Waste other people's time.. Oh...to confirm that you are making the correct choice.. "I herd it all over the internet".
SO you have all your ducks in a row, purchase, and elaborate on your findings. From your previous statement you need no further help.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:36 PM
vlsun
Veteran

i'd like to get micheline ltx m/s tires, but i'm wondering what size to go with. without any kind of lift: LT285/75R16 (they're kinda pricey), or P275/70R16. what i'm looking for is a smoother ride, i figure the more rubber means less play in all axis. i also go offroad ocassionally, but not enough to warrant getting offroad specific, so mainly road handling.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:37 PM
R. Phillips

Bulldog if you look on the goodyear website it tells you or are they wrong too. and for the 17inch rim more than just a ram wheeel will fit a ram truck there are several veichles which the same bolt pattern. have you ever thought of that . and for not wanting to lift it i hard out of it ever day installing cabniets i would be a pain to take tools out of the back of a klifted truck. but look who i'm talking to . Russell from TN

Old 09-12-2004, 11:29 PM
94ram4x4 5.9
Professional

Just a question...why does everyone say that a 285/75/R16 is a 33 when it actually measures exactly 32? I have these size Dueller A/Ts on my stock '94 ram 4x4, they do rub the torsion bars when you turn the wheel all the way to lock.

Old 09-13-2004, 01:31 AM
Racer Rob
Veteran

Tire Calculator

Old 10-18-2006, 07:40 AM
vansterdam

Another tire calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Old 10-18-2006, 08:19 AM
nhlbill
Veteran

Just to clear a few things up:

1. A 285/75 will always be taller than a 285/70.............................and both are considered 33" tires....as are 305/70's.

2. To get to a 34" metric equivilent the only tire size available is a 295/75...then metrics jump to a 35" equivilent which is a 315/75

3. Goodyear MTR's are considered an excellent tire and are hugely popular in the off road world for their sticky tread and great ride and awesome sidewalls. Anybody who shredded one of these tires to get it to cup/feather etc...has some front end problems as most guys who run this tire and even do off roading with it are getting 30K plus in milage with them. MTR's reputation is as solid as it comes.

4. You can run 285/75/16's on s stock 1500 4x4 with the stock wheels without rubbing on the street and mild contact rubbing on your control arms off road ( I had my 2001 that way from about a week after it was new to 30K plus miles). Some even run 305/70/16's with more offset and get away with it.

5. To run 35" tires safely with little or no rubbing even off road, you generally are talking about 5" lift (or 3" of actual lift on the Off Road Edition). Thats not to say there are not shorter trucks out there with 35's on them, but general speaking 5" of lift is what the concensus is for 35' tires.

HTH

Old 10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
ARbowhunter7

I DEFINITELY agree with nhlbill about the MT/R's. I've had 2 sets and they are AWESOME! Their offroad performance is EXTREMELY well documented and their sidewall strength is second to none. They are consistently listed among the top 3 off-road tires in production. But then again what do Off Road magazine and Four Wheeler magazine know about an off road tire anyway?

Quick Reply: Want to run 34 inch tires on stock 99 Ram will they fit