2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Drive Shaft/Dif. Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Skeeski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Shaft/Dif. Question

I'm new to the forum so I'll throw a small introduction in with this question.
I have a Blue '98 Dodge Ram 1500, 6inch suspension lift and 35 inch BFG A/T's. I do take it trailing and 4wheeling when I have the opportunity.
Anyways.. This is probably a very stupid question but I figured I would ask just the same.

This morning when I pulled in to the parking lot and a friend of mine came running to the truck informing me that my front drive shaft was not spinning, it didn't make sense to me since I figure if that was wrong then wouldn't I be unable to go anywhere? I didn't have a whole lot of time to look around as I had to get in the building, and I plan on having a look at when I'm through here, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask. I don't know, it just didn't make sense to me. But anyways, any input would be great.
Thanks in advance.

-Mandi

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Default RE: Drive Shaft/Dif. Question

well mandi it shouldn't be spinning if the transfer case is not engaged into four wheel drive. it's a part time transfer case that only spins the front when it is set to 4hi or 4lo. being a 1500 it's most likely an NP 231 transfer case (chain driven part time selectable up to 55 mph with sycros for shift on the fly).

my suggestion is take that person out to a field, put it in four high, and see if it spins then.if it doesn't then the chain is broke and then you've got more problems. (it's an easy fix, but you do have to remove the back half of the transfer case to do it.)

Old 05-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Skeeski

Thats what I thought about and realized not long after I posted that. Thank you for your response just the same.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

not a problem. just thought i'd remind ya of it.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

nice truck by the way

Quick Reply: Drive Shaft/Dif. Question