2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can't locate vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Big Wrench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't locate vibration

Hello All -

Hoping I can get pointed in the right direction. I have a 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 Club Cab SLT Laramie w/5.9. I have an intermittent vibration that is coming from the drivetrain somewhere. I noticed it a couple of months ago, but haven't really drove the truck much. Heres what happens:

AT 45-50 mph, after the transmission has locked up, I will sometimes get a vibration or shutter in the drivetrain. It seems to happen more often when the truck is under load, such as going up a hill or accelerating. It also seems to happen more when the truck is cold. If I lift off the gas, it disappears. If I shut the O/D off (and the rpms stay up), it doesn't appear. It only happens after the O/D has engaged, and the T/C has locked up. (Obviously the engine is turning pretty low RPM) I replaced the axle bearings, brake shoes, seals. I inspected the carrier bearings and pinion bearings, and they seem to be good. If I put it up on jackstands and run it at 45-50, the rear axle appears to be pretty quiet. I inspected the U-joints, and they appear to be ok (nothing loose). The only thing that appeared to be odd was that I shook on the driveshaft up at the transmission end, and it appeared to have a lot of play. I also noticed a small amount of grease had dripped out of the back seal.

I originally thought it was a axle bearing going out, but now I think it may be coming from the transmission or transfer case?? I've never had a transfer case off of a new Ram, so I am not familiar with any bearings that may commonly go out, or how difficult this may be to fix. Any ideas/suggestions???

Thanks in advance,

--Mark

Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Big Wrench
Default RE: Can't locate vibration

Hmmm - 31 reads and no response...

Well, I think I have narrowed it down to the transfer case - pulled it off and its on its way to Zumbrota Bearing and Gear for a rebuild. If this doesn't solve it, its likely the transmission itself. [>:] I thinks its going to go down the road....

Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
B12Teuton
Professional
Default RE: Can't locate vibration

Maybe a warped driveshaft/U-joint?

Sounds a lot like what happens to people who get a big lift but don't drop the transfer case. Certain mph = vibration which stems from the driveshaft 9 times out of 10. If your U joints are worn, the same vibe can happen.

Just a guess, though.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 PM
goB1Gred ram

Interesting B12Tueton, my thoughts exactly. I have bad ujoints and she shakes like an underpaid stripper waiting on promotion. At first i thought it might be a bad alignment, but after some searching on forums and youtube, it has been equivocally narrowed down to the ujoints! Thanks for the confirmation!

Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you fixed the plenum? The slight shudder you're feeling when in OD is a symptom of a small misfire in the engine due to a vacuum leak around that crappy stock plenum plate...this misfire results in a small shudder or shake in the truck and is often attributed to a suspension or drivetrain issue when in reality it is an engine issue. For whatever reason, OD magnifies the misfire causing a shudder felt inside the cab of the truck. There won't be a check engine light either, atleast not at first. Just a thought, you may still be correct in thinking it's related to the transfer case or transmission.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM
97r/tram
Veteran

^This is true.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:48 AM
goB1Gred ram

agreed davies

Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

This is a TEN year old thread....... Why are we resurrecting this?

Quick Reply: Can't locate vibration