2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory off road rams?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:11 PM
greenie4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory off road rams?

i was wondering how to tell if my 2000 ram reg cab 1500 long bed is a factory off road model or a standard model, the reason i am asking is i want to put the 2 inch level spacers on the front but i see that most of the kits say not for factory off road models, my truck seems to be a little high but not sure if it because the oversized tires.the truck was repainted so there is no off roan sticker on it. i saw a post that the off roads only came in short bed but who knows if thats true.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Bob5150
Rookie
Default RE: factory off road rams?

Well, one way to tell is to check your wheels. If they are 5-spoke 17" aluminum wheels, that's what came with the Off-Road edition. Every other Ram will have 16" wheels. I know wheels are easily interchangeable, but it's a good place to start. I do believe the Off-Roads were only avilable in the short bed style. Hope this helps a little.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:29 AM
spaz_22
Captain

look on the underside of your hood. If you have 4.10 gears stock, it's an offroad. you can also get a build sheet from dodge, go to there website, all you have to do is enter in your vin number

Old 05-20-2007, 02:11 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is a long bed, it is not an off road model. It only came as an option on short beds.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
greenie4

thanks for the replies i guess mine is just higher looking because of the tire ,maybe the previous owner put the 17 inch wheels on it,they look a lot newer than the truck.one other thing why do the bottom of the doors rot out so fast and is there a good way to fix it besides bondo?

Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM
greenie4

cant find the build sheet on the website?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Cereal Killer
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: greenie4

thanks for the replies i guess mine is just higher looking because of the tire ,maybe the previous owner put the 17 inch wheels on it,they look a lot newer than the truck.one other thing why do the bottom of the doors rot out so fast and is there a good way to fix it besides bondo?
I just make sure I always wax where the seem is real good and spray some WD40 in there everytime I wash it. Seems to work pretty good, but once it's already rotted it's too late.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Best way...Rust free doors from the South, clean insides and coat all crevices with POR-15

Better way... New sheet metal, a wire welder, and POR-15

The "off roadster" option (for quad cabs and short beds)included 17 inch cast aluminum wheels, 4:10 gears and a special front D44 with extra gusseting around the Diff. It also had special "hi rate" springs front and rear which lifted the truck an extra 1.5 inches in the front and 2 inches in the rear. It also made the ride extra stiff too.
You can add a 2inch spacer to you ram, but I'd sure consider getting a different track bar to recenter the axle once you've done that. Thats the reason they don't recommend you put a spacer on an off road model.
When you go to Chrysler.com you will have to email them with your vin number. It usually takes them about a week toreply. If you're really nice to your local Mopar parts guy, he can do the same thing. Some are more willing then others.

Quick Reply: factory off road rams?