2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 05-23-2007, 10:57 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: electric fans

ORIGINAL: lv360ram

mopowar,
your fan pics show the tubes (I assume) for your cold air/ram air setup, wow!
A few pics of the tubes getting tothe front bumper and the air cleaner would be much appreciated!
I got that kit usedoff of ebay. I will post up some pics on another thread later this afternoon.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:17 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 96ram5.9_5speed

so has anyone tried the thermostatic controlled ones? i think im readin this right that all of you used the type that is controlled by the rad probe then again i could be completely off base but assuming that im on the right track here and if anyone did use the thermostatic switch which one on the intake did you take out? there is one with 2 connections on it and one with one connection on it, atleast for my truck and thanks for all the replies they were helpful
I didn't save the link, but when I was looking around I found a controller that spliced into the existing ect sensor. The single fan controller wasn't to bad but the dual fan controller was kind of pricey. My set up works great, gives me dual fan control, and costme around ~$50.

Hey shott- Are you sure your clamp amp is set up for dc current. I have several clamp amps- all Amprobe and Fluke- but the clamp functions are allac only. When I test dc current, I use an inline meter that I snagged off an old dc motor controller. In rush on a dc motor can be up to 600% of the running amps, but that is only for an instant. I bet if you put an in-line ammeter on there you'll probably get 14-16 running.

Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL
http://www.dccontrol.com./
Hank, thanks for the link. I'm into technology and that fan controller looks really cool! (pun intended)

Old 05-24-2007, 12:10 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mopower.. thats affirmative.. both my clamp meters have DC -in clamp- measurements. thats the whole reason why i bought them lol.. my frist one was a craftsman..ran about 100$.. worked well for a while but wasnt tuff enough to handle the abuse i threw at it.. my Fluke setup is nearing 700 bones total.. i have a 179 DMM standard set (with leads) case , an i410 clamp meter (AC/DC w/ zero) and a large pin/lead set aswell.. i havnt used my (much better/much more accurate) fluke on my fans yet but my crafsman shot out them numbers that i mentioned above.. this weekend ill reshoot them - startup/constant- with my fluke setup and see how close i was..

boy ill tell ya i love my dc clamp feature.. amp out anything dc w/o breaking a single circuit!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

10-4 .......... We're just a small shop here. 1.k/year trying. Those newFlukes are nice fosho. Just gittin the goodygood gone.

Quick Reply: electric fans