2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 AM
punkin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotor replacement

Getting ready to replace the rotors after 200k miles, any pitfalls to avoid or tricks to make it easierwould be appreciated.

Have a great Memoerial Day weekend!

[IMG]local://upfiles/63420/6C5D67CB5B88429D8F0598E59BFE3453.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rotor replacement

Don't let your calipers hang from the brake line. Get them turned before you put them on. Change your pads while you're in there. Use pads with two springs on the inside. Use brake quiet on them.
They're pretty easy.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:22 PM
hkspwrsche
Rookie

Turning them removes material.
I Think what he meant to say was brand new rotors should be thoroughly cleaned and they can put a cross hatch pattern on them using the brake lathe and an adapter for a conditioning wheel. They should already be true if they are brand new so making them thinner wont help as much as creating a surface good for break in.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM
lv360ram
Captain

I did the cross hatch pattern and it just ground away my new brake pads so after about a 1000miles my pads had 5000miles of wear. [:@] And excessive brake dust on my clean rims.
Also, get a big C clamp so you can compress the caliper pistons.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove the lid to the reservoir before trying to push the piston back into place!!![sm=groupwave.gif]
Be sure to pack the new bearings thoroughly and clean the old grease off of the spindles. Also, get a new rear seal for the bearings, but chances are the new rotors will already have the race pressed into place.

If I were you, I'd order new brake parts from Rock Auto. With 200K miles, replace the pads, rotors, tie rods ends, ball joints, pitman arm, and idler arm. I did all of that on my truck, and for what O'Reilly Auto Parts wanted for everything minus the ball joints, I bought it all PLUS the ball joints and larger rear wheel cylinders and the cost was LESS, even when shipping was added.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM
lv360ram
Captain

Are your rotors separate from the hub?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 PM
RamManRiley

ORIGINAL: hkspwrsche

Turning them removes material.
I Think what he meant to say was brand new rotors should be thoroughly cleaned and they can put a cross hatch pattern on them using the brake lathe and an adapter for a conditioning wheel. They should already be true if they are brand new so making them thinner wont help as much as creating a surface good for break in.
Yes it removes material but it also makes sure they are true. i have had plenty of "New" rotors that have sit on the shelf for months and have warped. For example on my Dads 99 ram van i had to turn them a couple of times to make them true again.

Quick Reply: Rotor replacement