2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:53 AM
ZFish85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Calipers

So comming home from work today I noticed that when I braked hard the truck pulled to the left somthing fierce....Pulled the caliper off and pumped the brakes brake fluid squirted out surrouding the piston. Took it to advanced got a new one put it on bled the brakes went for a spin now whenever I brake it pulls to the opposite side, the right even worse. Is it possible that the older caliper does not brake as hard as the new remaned one I put on??....As for tomorrow I guess I'll be putting a passenger side caliper on, unless anyone has any other news for me,.........just wondering if this has ever happend to anyone else??

thanks for the input!!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:09 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Brake Calipers

ORIGINAL: ZFish85

So comming home from work today I noticed that when I braked hard the truck pulled to the left somthing fierce....Pulled the caliper off and pumped the brakes brake fluid squirted out surrouding the piston. Took it to advanced got a new one put it on bled the brakes went for a spin now whenever I brake it pulls to the opposite side, the right even worse. Is it possible that the older caliper does not brake as hard as the new remaned one I put on??....As for tomorrow I guess I'll be putting a passenger side caliper on, unless anyone has any other news for me,.........just wondering if this has ever happend to anyone else??

thanks for the input!!
Bad caliper pins and bushings on the old side, or you have a collapsed flex line.

And you're sure that the new caliper has been bled properly?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:23 AM
ZFish85

pretty sure, had my brother press and hold while I bled the line at least 8 times.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:11 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

When replacing calipers or wheel cylinders always replace both. You may need to replace the other caliper.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 PM
newshop2

My 99 cummins 4x4 pulled to the left when braking, it had 6000 mi. on new ceramic pads and wandered all over the road. the dealer turned the rotors and replaced the calipers, now it doesn't pull but it still wouldn't steer right. Update from last post, the dealer changed to stock wheels and tires twice didn't help. then they finally replaced the steering box yesterday and now its much better. This has been going on for a month. I don't know why the dealers don't give up on dodge steering boxes and put on the motor sports boxes, they would only have to do it once.oh well it was free. anyway I got my truck finally. ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT RIDE SOFTER, OR SEAT MODIFICATION?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: newshop2

My 99 cummins 4x4 pulled to the left when braking, it had 6000 mi. on new ceramic pads and wandered all over the road. the dealer turned the rotors and replaced the calipers, now it doesn't pull but it still wouldn't steer right. Update from last post, the dealer changed to stock wheels and tires twice didn't help. then they finally replaced the steering box yesterday and now its much better. This has been going on for a month. I don't know why the dealers don't give up on dodge steering boxes and put on the motor sports boxes, they would only have to do it once.oh well it was free. anyway I got my truck finally. ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT RIDE SOFTER, OR SEAT MODIFICATION?
I need to replace my steering box, what is a motor sports box and how is it better than a standard.

Quick Reply: Brake Calipers