2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 PM
3406pak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission ?

Hello Everyone,

I have a couple of questions and hopefully the can get answered. I have a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 w/5.9 liter V8 and auto. trans. with 170,000 miles and runs great just having some trans. problems:

1. Putting it into reverse somtimes itwill stall out.
2. When driving it kicks down real easy with the slightest effort ongas pedal.
3.I have to let off the gas pedal when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
4. Also when kicking down into passing gear it feels like it pops out of passing gear causing it to over rev toa high RPM.

THE TRUCKPULLS HARD OUT OF THE HOLE IN 1st to 2nd BUTAFTER THATTHE ABOVE PROBLEMS START. ONE MORE THING ON THE EXPRESS-WAY IT DOES'NT HAVE A PROBLEM AND RUNS LIKE A DREAM! I HAVE CHANGED THE FILTER AND GASKET ALREDY TO ELIMINATE THAT POSSIBLE PROBLEM. COULD THIS BE AN ELECTRICAL RELAY OR SOLENOID PROBLEM?

PLEASE HELP!!!
KEN

Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 PM
superfluous
Rookie
Default RE: Transmission ?

Yes, could be a solenoid or valve body problem.

Could also be a clogged or restricted cooler lines or stuck check valve in the cooler line according to my FSM. You should rule out this before anything because this will also cause the tranny to get hot and burn it up.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:34 PM
3406pak

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE,

CAN I GET RID OF THE DIS-CONNECTS AND JUST USE 3/8 RUBBERHOSE IN PLACE OF IT WITH HOSE CLAMPS?

Thanks!
Ken

Old 05-29-2007, 01:41 AM
superfluous
Rookie

Could also be the cooler in the radiator or the external cooler if you have one, though I'm told that the check valve is the most likely cause of clogs. You can remove the check valve completely, it's not needed. It's a brass thingy with an arrow on it to indicate flow direction.

EDIT: The check valve is in one of the cooler lines near the radiator end.

If the lines are plugged, they can be replaced with hose and fittings (all fittings are NPT.) Though you should check for flow before you do anything. Disconnect the cooler return line at the trans (the one furthest back) and run the truck in Neutral (not Park) and time how long it takes it to pump a quart. If it takes more than 20 seconds, something's clogged.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3406pak
CAN I GET RID OF THE DIS-CONNECTS AND JUST USE 3/8 RUBBERHOSE IN PLACE OF IT WITH HOSE CLAMPS?
yes. be sure and use 'auto transmission' hose. its about $1/ft.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:43 PM
3406pak

WELL I TRIED TAKING OUT THE PRESSURE VALVE AND IT'S STILL HAVING A PROBLEM. I AM STARTING TO THINK MORE THAT IT IS ELECTRICAL OR POSSIBLY IN THE VALVE BODY. ANY OTHER IDEAS OR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS AGAIN!
KEN

Old 05-30-2007, 11:49 PM
superfluous
Rookie

Before you start messing with the valve body, you should do the cooler flow test I talked about. A clogged cooler or cooler lines can have all kinds of weird effects on the tranny.

Could also be a sticking valve in the valve body. Stalling in reverse in particular suggests the converter lockup valve or switch valve, loose valve body screws, bad solenoid. Pay particular attention to the converter lockup solenoid.

Quick Reply: Transmission ?