2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help. Squealing when starting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM
DTLarson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Squealing when starting.

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 with the 5.9l engine. After I start it, there is a squeal from the engine. It doesn't keep going, but it lasts anywhere from 30 seconds after starting to about 3min then it goes away. If I turnt he truck off and then turn it back on within a few hours, the squealing doesn't happen, but it does happen if it is after a few hours since I turned it off. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? This happens wether I am in drive or not.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Default RE: Need help. Squealing when starting.

I would start with the serpentine belt. There is stuff out there called belt dressing (or just take some wd-40)that will lube up the belt and make it stop squealing. If it does stop squealing you probably want to replace it. If that does not fiw it then it could be a bearing or the tensioner but I would start with the belt.

Brad

Old 05-30-2007, 01:18 PM
RamManRiley

What you are discribeing sounds like a belt going bad. DONOT use belt dressing it just makes a mess of your pullys and will make it so that you have to clean your pulleys when your belt starts squeeking again. I would recamend replaceing the belt but while its off spin every pully to make sure they are spining freely.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Your belt tensioner maybe frozen causing your fan belt to slip, could also be the water pump bearing too.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that... only when its like 40 degrees or colder out and its DEAD cold... Mine is the belt tensioner.

Quick Reply: Need help. Squealing when starting.