2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anybody interested in a brand new Mopar Performance Air Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody interested in a brand new Mopar Performance Air Cleaner?

Ihave a new Mopar performance air cleaner for my truck just like the one Silver has on his truck I am putting up for sale. I purchased it for my truck but decided against installing it due the extreme summer heat here in Phoenix. It is brand new in the box, never installed, and comes with all hardware and filter. I got it from summit for $75.95 plus $10.95 shipping. I will let it go for $70 shipped to you. I am going to list it on e-bay tonightbut I wanted to see if anybody here was interested first.please let me know if you have any questions.

DCC part number: 5249807
Fits Ram 5.2l / 5.9l

[IMG]local://upfiles/26166/BC3DFA5A8F1F4F6F902D5C2FBC702F56.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007, 05:46 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Default RE: Anybody interested in a brand new Mopar Performance Air Cleaner?

What are you going to install instead? I have no idea what seasonal changes are like in Phoenix, but if you are going with a cold air intake, and it gets below 50* on a regular basis during the winter months, you may want to consider keeping it and swapping back and forth through the year. I have a ram air box and wouldbet on the fact that my mpg's are going to go to **** during the winter months. I plan on eitherrunning a open filter or disconnecting the plenums Nov.-Feb.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
moparrtguy
Veteran

That's the thing, it dosent really get that cold here even during the winter. There might be a month where the lows might drop into the mid to high 40's but that is only in the middle of the night. We just hit 108 yesterday, and combined with running the a/c the engine bay gets too hot for this type of induction for a daily driver. I am going to go with a K&N FIPK setup and still get the best of both worlds.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much heat is too much heat to run those? It gets warm here in the summer but not sure how hot is too hot for them. Also, I've seen a lot of posts about these in the past and it is always confusing as to how much backspace and if it has the hose fitting for the driver side. Also, what's the hight of the filter on it?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
Lightninram

I would love to get it. Just a week or 2 early. My money hasn't come in yet. Dang it.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:14 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Aubrey

How much heat is too much heat to run those? It gets warm here in the summer but not sure how hot is too hot for them. Also, I've seen a lot of posts about these in the past and it is always confusing as to how much backspace and if it has the hose fitting for the driver side. Also, what's the hight of the filter on it?
The longest book you'll ever read on open air filters:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_613741/tm.htm

In ambienttemperatures above 75 or sodegrees on a non-carberated/ efimotor this setup will cause a measurable performance loss when pitted against a setup that draws air from outside the engine compartment.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:47 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Here it is:
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....-SMOOTHIE-9802

EDIT: Sorry was trying to post on this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_835546/mpag.../tm.htm#835813

Old 06-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I've read thru that thing but doesn't say too much about air temp and the impact. Mostly about how to do it on the cheap. Where are these guys that are getting a jump in 2mpg?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

You use a cold air setup to get a denser air mass to mix with the fuel. When the air gets too cold- or dense- your pcm has to throw alot more carbon (gas) into the mix so that your truck doesn't **** al gore off.Say you were to optimize a cold air setup so that your iat (even correctly positioned) were to read just 5-10 degrees over ambient temperature; This would work great during most of the year in most of the country, but during the months when ambient temperatures are ~ 50* your dumping dense60* air across your iat sensor and through the motor where the final al gore test shows up on your 02 sensor. Essentially, the more 02 and co2 you have thrown in the more Cv8Hv18 you are going to have to throw into the mix to keep al gore happy. So, if during the cooler months one were to switch from an induction system that had provided 60* air to a system that provides say 100* air, at that point less Cv8Hv18 would be required to keep al gore happy. Conversely, when temperatures get higher and the same system that provided the 100* air in the winter starts to provide 150* air in the summer, power will suffer and you will once again start to **** al gore off because you will hold his limo up and once again suffer poor fuel mileage.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:36 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have had temps over 80 the last week, and I have felt no performance loss, and no change in mpg. WIll be over 90 in a few weeks, but I anticipate no change over any other so called CAI I have tried.

Quick Reply: Anybody interested in a brand new Mopar Performance Air Cleaner?