2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

buzzer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buzzer wiring

ok yall know that annoying buzzing sound that warns you about your lights bein on and when teh doors open + key in ignition? theres that little button in the door jam that signals if the doors open. if i cut the wires going to that button will it make the buzzer stop?? i was about to do it then i realized it possible could just make the buzzer not turn off, and thats something i certainly dont want. anyone know? or have another solution to make this dang buzzer stop?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: buzzer wiring

here's a cleaner solution. remove the covers around the ignition switch and blinker on the steering column. might have to remove the knee knocker. on the ignition switch is a small 2 wire connector. unplug it. this keeps your chimer for lights on, low fuel. also doesn't affect dome light, etc.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

will this go for a 95 as well? i noticed you have an 01...... dont wanna tear that all down to not have it.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ok another question. i was just out there tryin what you suggested. any tips on how to get those plastic covers on the steerin column off? the back half of it (the half closest to teh gauges) just popped up as if it just snapped on. the front half (the end closest to the wheel) doesnt seem to want to budge. im wondering if there might be screws holding that half on?

also do you remember what color the wires where on the wire connect i'm unplugging? did it happen to be green and black?

Old 06-18-2007, 09:38 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i think its on all of them. when i look in haynes manual, it has a step for 'remove electrical connector' for all years. there are some other steps that are year specific, but not this one. also, with your door open and your key in switch and your dinger dinging, as you slide the key in/out your dinger will start/stop. so i think they all have the same 'key in switch' sensor. its not too hard to remove, but you'll need a long torx, not sure size but i can find out if needed. when you pull the clamshell covers off the column the little catch is kinda tricky.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ok so i need a torx. i have some just not sure if theyll be long enough. i appreciate it.

o yea i looked in that fuze box thats right there when you open the door, and i pulled the fuze that said 'buzzer/consol' assuming that would stop the buzzer. didnt. ?? o well im gonna go try and get this steering column cover off. thanx!!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

sorry, i answered to slow to catch your other questions.

green and black sounds right but i can't swear to it. they are the only wires in that area and they come around the bottom of the column and under the switch and plug in on the bottom/front of switch

btw, probably unscrew and remove tilt handle also, there is a plastic cover that slides in a slot of both top and bottom, and covers the path of the shifting lever. removing this might help - it just slides into the slot. the clamshell covers have a male piece with a tab that slide into a female piece. i had trouble with this. try slipping a small screwdriver into the catch to push the tab over the catch. also try shifting them in opposite directions to release the tab. i sort of half broke mine, but it went back together ok and still holds.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

ok, i'm still answering one question back so this threads gonna really look goofy. yes you need a long skinny torx, probably about 3-4in long.

i had a big go-around with the chimer on mine, so be leary of the fuse box. it interconnects with EVERYTHING. pulling/blowing fuses can have some wild interactions with chimer, intermittent wiper timing control (expensive lesson there), locks, windows, even the dreaded NO BUS.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ha dont worry about the order, im following. ok couple things. i dont have torx long enough for that.... might have to borrow some or go buy some.

the reason i asked about the green and black is because under my dash i saw a couple wires coming from the direction of the button in the door jam, and it was green and black. it had a connecter, so i pulled that, and tested it, but the buzzer still buzzes so its not those. guess im stuck until i go buy some torx. thanx for the help.

o yea; are you saying pulling fuses can give me that trouble?? i hope not. ive never heard that before. and i pulled the fuse a couple times (w/ truck off). hope nothing screws up.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

pulling fuses won't hurt anything.

i'm saying that w/o some fuses in place you can get some very very strange results. for example. i removed a fuse labeled power locks or power windows, can't remember which, and my door open/key in switch dinger stopped dinging. i thought i was so smart. about 2 or 3 weeks later i've forgotten all about that, and its raining and i turn on my intermittent wiper, but the timer control wouldn't work, it was stuck on fast. so after replacing multifunction switch ($42) and central timing module (CTM - $120), and removing and testing wiper motor, relays, testing wires and studying wiring diagrams i give up. some time later i blow a fuse and replace that one and the one i stole, and refilled the spare slots, and then the next time it rained guess what - intermittent wiper control worked perfectly.

i'll check the sizes on the torx in a little while and post back. its pouring down rain here right now.

Quick Reply: buzzer wiring