2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

at wits end

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
slammer55616
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default at wits end

Could someone please tell how the hell the oem foglights mount? I have been under/over/around/into/out and can not figure it out. I even took the light apart from the bracket and it doesnt want to fit in the hole. I emailed the company I bought them from because the box said 99-01 and I have a 97 but they insisted these would work. the fog light hole is shaped kind of like a cone and its almost like I would have to cut it off from the back side to get the light through. I NEED HELP.... and where in sam hell does the mounting arm connect to....

thanks for any help (mostly in saving my sanity!)

Old 06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
WayneC
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: at wits end

OEM lights have a bracket with 2 nuts that attach the bracket to the bumper. The light is attached to that bracket via an adjuster and pivots. The whole assy. installs/removes from the rear. Thats on an SLT. the Sport is slightly different. Does the set you have use an OEM bracket or aftermarket or what?
WC

Old 06-20-2007, 01:42 AM
slammer55616

I dont have a sport and I have the bracket and everything. its one unit. My problem is that the place that it goes on the front bumper is too small of an opening for it to go through. If you look at it from the front of the vehicle, it looks like a funnel and the opening is way too small for the light to come through. Is it possible that there are two different front pieces where the light goes. I found a Dodge with the fog lights on it and that plastic piece where the light goes is a lot "shallower". Do I need different front pieces?

I know I'm not explaining this too well.... if I'm confusing everyone, let me know and I will try to post pics but I suck at that too...

Old 06-20-2007, 02:16 AM
slammer55616

I think I found the answer. I went to Dodgeparts.com and looked up front bumper components. the menu showed something called Sight Shield. I clicked on that and the menu showed "w/fog lights" and below that "w/o fog lights" there must be two different ones. Anyone heard of this? If so, do I have to remove the bumper and/or bumper cover to install these?

thanks (sanity is slowly returning)

Old 06-20-2007, 07:12 PM
WayneC
Captain

Why not just trim the "cone" portion of sight shield with a razor knife to the proper size? Trim is the operative word here. But, if you mess it up you could get replacements. Also, the bumper does NOT have to be removed. However, you need to cut/drill out the plastic rivets that hold the shield in place and have new replacements handy to reinstall. Available at most auto parts stores.
WC

Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
slammer55616

Good idea Wayne... I think I will dig out the Dremel and give it a shot!

Old 06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
WayneC
Captain

You've got a Dremmel? :O
Sweet,then you can probably do the job without even removing the thing from the bumper!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:18 AM
lowriderman3
Amateur

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I want to make sure of the same. I purchased some OEM fogs too. So is it just best to trim out the cone portion of the shield that is in the bumper currently? Or can we order a new on that the fogs will fit in. My SLT did not come with fogs from the factory. Please help!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:25 PM
lowriderman3
Amateur

^^Bump^^

Old 01-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Chopper1
All Star

No offense, but if you read the first 6or 7posts on this thread it goes through the explanation of what it took to do the job....

Quick Reply: at wits end