2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007 | 07:08 PM
mrsweet
|
Default HEADLIGHTS

Hey, I was driving down the road the other day when out of no where, my highbeam indicator came on (on the dash). I tried turning them off, but nothing happened. When I turned my truck off, they were still on. I figured out that even though it says my high beams are on, they are in fact still my low beams, my high beams will still turn on like normal. The only way to turn my lights off now (as well as the high beam indicator), is to pull the fuse out from under the hood (which is quite annoying). Any ideas on what could be causing the problem? I pulled out the light switch assembly but to my untrained eye, everything seemed fine. Also, if I were to take it in, would any mechanic be able to fix this? Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007 | 07:14 PM
BLKbeast
Rookie
Default RE: HEADLIGHTS

could be a short, faulty wireing or maybe just a relay has gone bad...
i would visually inspect the harness to the lights a look for anything out of the ordinary

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:28 PM
mrsweet
|

Any idea where the relay is? Also, how do you check if its gone bad? Sorry, my electrical skill's are slim to none.

Old 06-27-2007 | 08:42 PM
BLKbeast
Rookie

download this service manual
everything should be in there
http://www.samkline.com/filehosting....ad&key=198

Old 07-01-2007 | 07:25 AM
mrsweet
|

Well, thought I'd give an update to my problem. A friend suggested that it might by the DRL (daytime running lights, which are mandatory here in Canada ) module. We found it and it seems to have been leaking a fluid. I unplugged it and sure enough, it fixed the problem. My lights no longer stay on and I don't have DRL anymore. Whether I rush to the auto parts store to replace it or not I haven't decided yet.

Old 07-01-2007 | 03:47 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

with it unpluged you wont have the high beam indicator on your dash just so you know, if you look in the IY section somone posetd something about what wires to hook up so you can have the drls unpluged and still have the high beam indicator working

Old 07-01-2007 | 04:27 PM
mrsweet
|

I did notice that. I'm gonna go check the DIY page out I think. Thanks for the heads up

Old 07-02-2007 | 12:13 AM
mrsweet
|

Everything seems to work great now. Thanks!

Old 07-02-2007 | 04:23 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

glad to hear its workin

Quick Reply: HEADLIGHTS