2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

any way to get better mileage ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: any way to get better mileage ?

#1 gas saver, your persistant attention to your foot. if you always pay attention to how your driving you will get better mpg.
#2 gas saver, remove excess weight
#3 gas saver, make sure tire pressure is proper
#4 gas saver, you bought a truck, theres nothing past #3 better yet, unplug #7 and #8 injectors, its like having a MDS system jk, really dont do that.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mythbusters did not say that tonneaus hurt MPG, they showed a slight improvement with the tonneau...better than tailgate up,
but just a few percent less than the fabric gate with the 1 inch holes.

This is in the episode 'Myths Revisted'

One problem with that particular myth test is that Adam wanted to save time and have a 'quick' MPG test on his personal Dakota. To do this he mounted a boat fuel meter made by the Floscan company and tried to measure using gallons of fuel per hour over a short stretch of highway. The Floscan meter did not work very well for this because it only reads down to 0.1 gallon per hour It would have been a better MPG test if they had made 300 mile trips in two matched pickups, like they did with the previous F150 test.

Later, when Mythbusters tested 'windows down or AC on' with a GM SUV you will notice they returned to the two vehicle method.....and added the method of pumping the tank completely dry at the end of the run after putting in exactly 5 gallons at the begining. Mythbusters has a 'research department' and apparently they have convinced the staff that MPG tests should be done similar to SAE/TMC Type IV tests....which uses two vehicles

You can watch all the old Mythbusters episodes online:

http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:....php?showid=mb

Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 AM
dnfd737
Veteran

Alot of other guys know more about this than me but here is what I have done.
have a 99 5.9 2wd quad cab 8' bed

started at 13mpg had a bad plenum
I replaced the plenum with the hughes kit
180* t-stat
mp wires brass cap and rotor
the cooler range autolites
$59 k&n look-a-like cai(do a search for my post)
synthetic oils every where
new transmission(lost 3rd gear)

when it was all done I can get 18 mpg in cooler weather but this 95-99 temps here have knocked me down to 17mpg plus change. if I keep it at 60mph

Old 07-10-2007, 09:58 AM
lv360ram
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HankL

Mythbusters did not say that tonneaus hurt MPG, they showed a slight improvement with the tonneau...better than tailgate up,
but just a few percent less than the fabric gate with the 1 inch holes.

This is in the episode 'Myths Revisted'

One problem with that particular myth test is that Adam wanted to save time and have a 'quick' MPG test on his personal Dakota. To do this he mounted a boat fuel meter made by the Floscan company and tried to measure using gallons of fuel per hour over a short stretch of highway. The Floscan meter did not work very well for this because it only reads down to 0.1 gallon per hour It would have been a better MPG test if they had made 300 mile trips in two matched pickups, like they did with the previous F150 test.

Later, when Mythbusters tested 'windows down or AC on' with a GM SUV you will notice they returned to the two vehicle method.....and added the method of pumping the tank completely dry at the end of the run after putting in exactly 5 gallons at the begining. Mythbusters has a 'research department' and apparently they have convinced the staff that MPG tests should be done similar to SAE/TMC Type IV tests....which uses two vehicles

You can watch all the old Mythbusters episodes online:

http://www2.digitaldistractions.org:....php?showid=mb
I saw both of those episodes and believe they were unrepeatable, which means different results if done again, which means unscientific. I mainly watch the show for entertainment to see stuff break, crashed and blown up! ....uh, I mean educational value to see the results of their tests. (wink, wink)
Mythbusters are [sm=bustedsign.gif]. I love this guy ->[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lv360ram

I saw both of those episodes and believe they were unrepeatable, which means different results if done again, which means unscientific. I mainly watch the show for entertainment to see stuff break, crashed and blown up! ....uh, I mean educational value to see the results of their tests. (wink, wink)
Mythbusters are [sm=bustedsign.gif]. I love this guy ->[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
agreed

Old 07-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get better mileage driving my 2002 Cavalier with the 2.2L mated to a 5-speed. Gassed up last night to will it with 13.02 gallons (I was on fumes) and trh tripmeter was at 421 miles. That works out to ~32mpg Gotta love it!

Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Notice that Mythbusters is now putting Grant in charge of MPG tests
and he is seeking out advice from places like NASA-Langley
and getting help from Dodge instrumenting up Dodge Magnums.

Grant's tests will be repeatable,
just like his battle robot
repeatedly punched holes in the other robots
until they couldn't function.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
95ramdan
Professional

One thing most people dont think about is having your front end aligned. I do them for a living and if yours is out of whack it could be hurting your mpg by causing a higher rolling resistance... like if your toe-in was waynegative/positive. Its recommended to have a front end alignment done atleast once a year.

Quick Reply: any way to get better mileage ?