2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

a/c evaporator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM
euriska
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bigaaron

Take one nut to the autoparts store, Advanced Auto stocks them. I dropped many of mine behind the transmission. M6 10 or 11mm sticks in my mind.

If you look under your steering column you will see a small hook with a white plastic catch that looks like two small fingers. The end of the cable hooks onto the tab and the cable gently rests in the mount. When the shifter is moved the tab moves thus moving your cable and your indicator.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 09-21-2011, 09:20 PM
bigaaron
Professional

got it thanks for the help

btw I took one to the hardware and got a replacement

Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
DonFP
Default Not going to let this one die!! LOL

Ok...

First of all... thanks goes out to all that have added to this thread. It is my turn to do this. I am just going to change out the heater core as I do not have any heat and winter is just around the corner. I have not used the a/c for the last 3 years and am not going to touch the a/c components. From the looks of things... I just need to order the heater core and possibly heater hoses. Anything else?

I am also going to change out the thermostat and serpentine belt too which should be no problem at all. Besides engine coolant... anything else I need to order?

I will probably be starting in a week to 10 days on this... maybe a little longer as I do need to order parts first.

My neighbor... who I have been keeping supplied with salmon this summer... has offered his indoor garage and help... when I do this. I'm much of a beer drinker... but think I will need to order a case of beer for my neighbor though!!

Thanks again to everyone! Yeah... it is going to be a PITA... but just have to keep reminding myself that it is 800-1000 bucks I am saving! And I need heat for the winter too!!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:42 AM
DonFP
Default Friday is D-Day

Ok Guys....

Cleaning everything out of the cab here shortly so nothing is in the way. I have to go to work in the afternoon... and I also pick up my check today. First thing tomorrow I am going to the bank and then stopping by the auto parts store to get some heater hose, anti-freeze, and maybe a serpentine belt (depending on cost). I am starting tomorrow morning on changing out my heater core. I am actually allotting Friday and Saturday to do the job. I hope it is finished by Friday evening... but you know how that goes!!

I guess first things first... disconnect the battery... then drain the radiator and go from there. I am replacing the thermostat too.

It was suggested while at the auto parts place to have them test the new heater core to make sure it is working as it would not be a good idea to install a new one that is not working. I will have them do that.

I am just going to take my time... and have the computer by my side on the workbench for reference.

One quick question.... just want to make sure it is possible to drain all the radiator fluid into one 5 gallon bucket (maybe even a 3 gallon bucket). If anyone has a good link to a thread on this site for a good procedure to drain the radiator... would appreciate it. Believe me... I really do appreciate all the help and advice that has been given so far and will be following it closely.

Wish me luck!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Actually, if you don't want to, you don't have to drain any of the coolant. Just clamp off the heater hoses, and put 'em out of the way. You aren't going to drain much out of the heater core in any event.

I don't think the parts store can test a heater core..... really isn't much to go wrong with 'em. If it doesn't leak, (and a new one sure as shootin' shouldn't) should be fine.

If you have A/C on your truck, might want to replace evap core while you are in there.

While you have the heater box off, check the coupler from the blend door motor, to the axle. They like to break, and it isn't gonna get any easier to check it, than with the box sitting OUT of the truck.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM
DonFP
Default Don't use my A/C

HeyYou...

Thanks for the response. I actually don't use my A/C anymore so I am not going to touch the A/C system at all.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
check the coupler from the blend door motor, to the axle
Is this coupler easy to spot? Anybody got a link to a photo to see what it looks like?

Like I mentioned... I am going to be slow and methodical about this whole fix and label everything that I take apart.

Thanks again EVERYONE for all the help.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The little motor is on the bottom of the heater box, just to the passenger side of the trans tunnel when the box is installed. You can actually see it when in place, but, its a LOT easier to remove/install when the box is off. (there is one screw on the back side, toward the firewall, that is a drag to get to.) Have a look here.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok my turn to add to the thread... and re-awaken it too LOL

1st just some things to add here, getting to the heater hoses on a V10 sucks.
Make sure you are parked on level ground and chock the wheels.
I was on a hill with the wheels chocked, and as soon as you take the dash off you release the Parking brake. OOOppps.
You also need to be wary of the Transfer case shifter and not whacking it in to neutral.
when you break the AC system go ahead and buy the seal kit at Advance P/N 26707 ($9). I couldn't hold a vacuum and finally heard it leaking where it went into the new evaporator on the hi side.
Name:  2013-01-20_10-11-33_229.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  2013-01-20_10-11-49_25.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  80.1 KB
I used the spectrum evaporator P/N 1044166 it is wrapped in foam.
the heater core 4 seasons is not listed anymore so I got a Spectrum P/N 94466 not wrapped but picked up the foam at Lowes for $5
Name:  IMG_20130120_191005.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  68.8 KB

Here is a video that someone posted in another thread.

Last edited by VEETEN; 01-20-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Jalpa_Mike

Great information in this thread!!! I just ordered all my "stuff" and it has been arriving over the last couple days.

I'm replacing my A/C Evaporator and the heater core (since it was leaking and is what caused me to undertake this adventure in the first place!).

I also decided to replace the A/C Compressor (since it was making a bit of noise. Nothing to bad, but I figured since they were only $143 from Rock Auto, I'd replace it and the hose set as well).

Everything here makes sense to me and I have just a couple of questions.

1. Since the new compressor has yellow tape on the packaging stating it is already loaded with 7oz of PAG oil, do I still need to add another 1 ounce in the Evaporator core and 1 oz. in the receiver/dryer bottle (that I'm also replacing) like it says in the Haynes manual?

2. I so confused when it comes to pulling a vacuum in preparation for charging the system back with R-134a. Will pulling the vacuum suck all the PAG oil back out of the system?

3. Can anyone tell me what sizes of the A/C Spring lock tools I need to take the lines apart? I see they come in four sizes @ Autozone (Gray - 3/4", Red - 3/8", Blue - 1/2" and Black - 5/8")

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Last edited by Jalpa_Mike; 04-25-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: a/c evaporator replacement