2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck got Vandalized...Recommendation Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:34 AM
swirvin21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck got Vandalized...Recommendation Needed!

Came home from military duty to find my truck mangled!!! Looks like they knifed up every panel but the roof, even the hood...cut my grille, knifed up my Road Armor bumper, cut a headlamp and a chrome wheel....gggrrrr! Oh, and the "F... YOU" written on the right doors can be seen from a distance...everyone loves me on the road now!!

Insurance say just under $5K damage! But get this, the cuts are all under the upper body line, even on the tailgate. I'm thinking of Line-Xing the whole rocker/door panels from the upper body line down. Any advice or suggestions?

I'm also having trouble with the grille. I have a 1998 Sport, black, OEM grille is $600 pre-painted....robbery@!!! Seen a few AMs on EBay, but $30-$130 seems really cheap, anyone actually get one to fit?? I'm all for saving some coin, but don't want to fit like crap.

Also looking at carbon fiber hood I found. Has operational hood scoops and OEM fit at about 50% weight savings. Anyone have any experince with these? Figured I'd rig up a RAM air style filter setup to get some more juice!

Going to Line X tomorrow morning to get a quote, will let everyone know. Evidently they have a new polymer that actually looks like gloss paint, wonder if it's worth the hype.

Any help appreciated gents!!

Old 07-10-2007, 02:38 AM
wayneo360
Professional
Default RE: Truck got Vandalized...Recommendation Needed!

sorry to hear about that man.. some people are just complete idiots.. i saw someone had there truck line-x'ed in the cummins forum. it was a beige color and it looked amazing.. keep us posted bout the quote and how it would look.. what color are you going to line-x it?

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 AM
swirvin21

It's a black truck, with the sport package, so I'm thinking of going gloss black, if it's actually glossy. Thought about red to compliment the nameplates, shocks and stuff, but don't know if it would look weird.

Insurance said they can't fix the bumper since it's textured powdercoat, so got $1600 for a new one to play with. Looking into a matching rear, but not sure I want that huge thing Road Armor sells on the back end. Looking around for something else, not the 4" iron tube though, never liked them.

I'll send some pics of the damage, you guys can at least share my woes!

Old 07-10-2007, 03:39 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really sorry to hear about your truck, its really ****ed up.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 AM
2001dodgeram1500
Professional

sorry to hear about this...my truck was vandalized this weekend windows shot out with a dang bb gun.
hopefully once the trucks are fixed they wont do this again. good luck...this is not what you expected
to come back home too from a tour of duty well we can all be thankfull you made it back.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:45 AM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

That sux man. But, i would say that the line x on the bottom of the panels looks really good. I would go w/ the black if it was me but the red might look ok. It might stand out to much tho and look funny. As far as the grills, get it on ebay. they are the same thing as oem, just 1/4 of the price. good luck on the rebuild of the truck. lets see those pics.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:58 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: swirvin21

It's a black truck, with the sport package, so I'm thinking of going gloss black, if it's actually glossy. Thought about red to compliment the nameplates, shocks and stuff, but don't know if it would look weird.

Insurance said they can't fix the bumper since it's textured powdercoat, so got $1600 for a new one to play with. Looking into a matching rear, but not sure I want that huge thing Road Armor sells on the back end. Looking around for something else, not the 4" iron tube though, never liked them.

I'll send some pics of the damage, you guys can at least share my woes!
hey if there just gonna pay you out for the bumper just take it off an fhave the the whole thing re pouder coated and put the rest in your pocket, ittl look as good as new or you could have it line-x ed too ibe seen a cupple like that and it looks good ither way it wont cost 1600 to do and you can put the extra twards something else

Old 07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Try LMC for your replacement parts.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/t.asp

Old 07-10-2007, 08:23 PM
swirvin21

Went to Line-X today...man are they expensive, at least for this Line-X Xtra stuff!!

Bed $449.99, add $74.99 for over rails and an additional $274.99 for this Xtra stuff.
Rockers $424.99 and additional $274.99 for Xtra
Flares $224.99 to spray

I looked at the Xtra stuff and it is more glossy, or shiny really. They said the difference is that it will fade at the same rate as paint versus the regular stuff. Not sure it's worth that much though. I guess if I went with the regular it would look like the cladding on Avalanches or something. Gonna check out Rhino to see how the two compare first.

The guy said he would coat the whole truck, but not sure how that would look. Any ideas? Anybody actually done it? No scratches or door dings again, but will look like sandpaper...

Here's those pics of my truck.
Ryans590... that bumper isn't the correct model evidently. 4wheel Parts sold me the wrong one, but even Road Armor doesn't know what it fits on. Had to modify it slightly at the headlamp bottoms and frame mounts, but still looks good. Kinda thinking I want the right one if insurance will pay for it though. Anyone interested in a slightly scratched, modified, unknown Road Armor front bumper????

Old 07-10-2007, 08:45 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah for sure if its not the right one anyways what better way to get the right one,

not sure id line-x the whole truck thow, might look kinda goofy. i had a buddy with an old toyoda who did it (i think it was scorpion brand thow) anyways buddys dad owned the body shop and it was just his mudding truck so we went in on the weekend and did the whole truck right over all the rust, you can bang on the fenderd and chuncks of rust fall out but the outstde still looks good, we put it on thick enough tha it became the body panel i think, anyways i dont think id do a whole truck in it if you wanna keep it looking good

Quick Reply: Truck got Vandalized...Recommendation Needed!