2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost by 1 truck length

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 12:11 AM
mikerados21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost by 1 truck length

Well we have a person down here who layed a mile of asphault on there land and he has a starting tree up there and he just got back from florida so he let me race on it tonight. But his rules are kinda gay but if you get beat you cant come back till you think u can beat the guy that beat you the first race. Well i got a little mouthy and raced a 1988 chevy longbed with a 350 w. a cam and some other stuff and got beat by 1 truck length. and since i was mouthy before i raced they got real mouthy after i got beat... So i have about $1000.00 by the time the next run is up. What should i get??

i was thinkn a

Intake Manifold
50mm fastman TB
get my 4:10 gears put in since i already have them
Auburn Posi Trac Diff.
and maybe some 1.7 Roller rockers...
What do you think?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:41 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Lost by 1 truck length

Always someone faster out there so it doesnt pay to talk smack
Install the 410s and get a good lsd, add the 50mm fastman & the 1.7rr
If theintake manifold is an m1 itwill kill some low end torque in favor of hi rpm hp and will be performance neutral without a good cam to go with it. If your thinking of cutting the runners back and smoothing things out on the beerbarrel then go for it.
If they can be removed, leave the twin 12" kickers at home for the next race and empty the cab of everything, leave the spare tire at home as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:49 PM
mikerados21
Veteran

ORIGINAL: RM_Indy

Always someone faster out there so it doesnt pay to talk smack
Install the 410s and get a good lsd, add the 50mm fastman & the 1.7rr
If theintake manifold is an m1 itwill kill some low end torque in favor of hi rpm hp and will be performance neutral without a good cam to go with it. If your thinking of cutting the runners back and smoothing things out on the beerbarrel then go for it.
If they can be removed, leave the twin 12" kickers at home for the next race and empty the cab of everything, leave the spare tire at home as well.
Do u think i will win if i do all that? What kind of gains are we lookin at?
Also do you think my dodge ram can handle a sneekey pete shot of nos?
And 1 more thing. My tires arent the 17" anymore they are 15" and i need to know what
size i should run to get good traction. And what kind of tire.... thnx!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suggested mods above you should be ahead of that Chev by a couple lengths if everything is installed correctly and no issues.

If your motor is in good shape and been maintained shouldnt be a problem running a 35-50shot.Lots of guys running 75-100hp shots but I wouldnt suggest it if you have hi mileage.

I run MT ET streets 28x12.5" (15" rims)for good traction and to increase my final ratio from 392 to 418 approx.MT also make et street drag radials as well.
If you go with the et street you maybe best with a 27x10.5". Not quite as wide so wont have as much rolling resistance at the top of the track but still give a good bite off the line and increase your final ratio even further. (435 approx/didnt check software)

Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM
mikerados21
Veteran

Well thanks alot I really like how you know what you are talking about. If i have any other questions i probably will contact you other wise. But if anyone else wants to give there .02 im all ears!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

RM_Indy definately knows more about racing than I ever will, but for my 2 cents:

~free (- dremel discs ) - modify your intake
~$300 - get a cam.For about the same price, a goodcam will throw rr's in the dirt and **** on them
~$450- get theM1 flash from B&G
~$100- gaskets, oil , and coolant

Take the extra $150 to the chevy guy and tell him you're done talking

Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 PM
froesen
Professional

i'd put that 150 towards a shift kit, might shave a few tenths off and good for the trans too, especially with that extra power!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:17 PM
mikerados21
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mopowar

RM_Indy definately knows more about racing than I ever will, but for my 2 cents:

~free (- dremel discs ) - modify your intake
~$300 - get a cam.For about the same price, a goodcam will throw rr's in the dirt and **** on them
~$450- get theM1 flash from B&G
~$100- gaskets, oil , and coolant

Take the extra $150 to the chevy guy and tell him you're done talking
Can you send me some pics or directions on how to modify your own intake??? or perhaps a link that will help thnx guyz!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:30 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Search this forum. A general description can be read at Hughes' website. I wouldn't mess around with the filling though. With the one I had, it just looked like they gobbed JB weld in there.

Stage 1:
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...amp;eTypeID=10

Stage 2:
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...amp;eTypeID=10

With a 2wd reg. cab, You may want to err towards the Stage 2 even though you will be running stock heads.

There is also a thread on here where a guy ported his own tb. I think it may have been VWand Dodge.

A good cam would be a 206x from KRC.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

In case you didn't find it; I remembered steve05ram360(??) did this. He still has the pics on his cardomain:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/577104/5

Now, go kick some chevy @ss.

Quick Reply: Lost by 1 truck length