2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Carburetor and hissing noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM
loneriderty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a question

i was working on my dodge in the picture below i had to replace the idle air motor and the gasket on the throttle body broke going into my intake manifold. anyways just wondering on if i could use some rtv gasket maker or should i buy a new gasket

Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by loneriderty
i was working on my dodge in the picture below i had to replace the idle air motor and the gasket on the throttle body broke going into my intake manifold. anyways just wondering on if i could use some rtv gasket maker or should i buy a new gasket
Buy a new gasket. They are less than three bucks. (cheaper than the RTV.....)

Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 PM
dougw
Default Help

I have a 2001 dodge ram. My son was driving in and it lost power and didn't want to stay running. I towed it home and found a lowed hissing noise coming out of the carb . I took the air cleaner of and it was sucking air really bad. I changed the sensor on the back of the carb but it continued to do the same thing. A buddy of mine said it was the plenum gasket. So i ripped it apart and replaced it and put it all back together and it still does the same thing........ Any help would be great......

Old 01-15-2018, 10:18 PM
Damionnnn

Originally Posted by geekydude
Hello all, glad to have this forum for help. Recently purchased a 96 Dodge Ram pickup last week. Was wondering about a hissing noise coming from the carburetor. I dropped by a mechanic shop earlier today and the gent there told me that the noise was the carb sucking air. Sounds like a hiss to me and it ismore pronounced when the a/c is on, especially when I step on the gas. Definitely a shrilly-type noise. Is this noise normal?Thanks for your response.
Replace the Intake air control valve sensor (IAC) it's behind your throttle body, my truck was hissing like yours I replaced it and it's fine now, [SCREENSHOT IF NEEDED!!] Whenever you replace the IAC sensor turn your ignition on DO NOT TURN THE TRUCK ON, turn the ignition on for 30 seconds then off for 10 seconds repeat this step 3 times so it gives the sensor time to adjust itself for the air going into the throttle body there will always be a little bit of hissing but only for a few seconds while warming the truck up. I hope this works for you by the way the IAC isn't but 40-50 dollars at autozone so good luck I hope this helps you

Old 01-16-2018, 07:22 PM
dougw

Ok I changed the IAC and did what you said and it didn't resolve the problem..... I read something about the front o2 sensor? any idea if this would cause anything like this?

Old 01-16-2018, 08:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by dougw
Ok I changed the IAC and did what you said and it didn't resolve the problem..... I read something about the front o2 sensor? any idea if this would cause anything like this?
Take the front O2 sensor out if it runs and/or runs better that's your problem. Usually throws a check engine light though when they are bad

Quick Reply: Carburetor and hissing noise