2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission drain plug add-on

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 AM
atcsat64
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission drain plug add-on

Anybody added a drain plug to the tranny pan? I read a post that I think they changed to an aftermarket pan, but trying to save my money for better things. Tired of getting covered in tranny "blood." The loosen and tilt the pan method always equals more kitty litter, and since I pull trailers I won't miss a fluid change.

Any thoughts from y'all "Garage Gods?"

Old 08-01-2007, 10:42 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Transmission drain plug add-on

I haven't added my drain plug yet (only had it sitting around for half a year), but I plan on doing that soon. Seems like its straight forward.
Like you said, definitly better than getting tranny fluid all over.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

i havn't done it to this one ( ithink its cracked so im getting a new one) but ive done it before. you just drill a hole and weld on some threads for a plug. not to hard. i bet they even sell kits for something like that.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:58 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have added one...I just went and picked up a drain plug from Autozone and drilled the size of hole it told me to in the pan and screwed it on. I believe it was towards the back of the pan.

Brad

Old 08-01-2007, 03:08 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

ORIGINAL: BradBeyer

I have added one...I just went and picked up a drain plug from Autozone and drilled the size of hole it told me to in the pan and screwed it on. I believe it was towards the back of the pan.

Brad
You didn't need to weld any threads on? Maybe the pans are thicker on the dodges. i did it on an older chevy. might have been overkill to i guess. i just didn't want to risk it leaking. Hows yours holding up. any leaks?

Old 08-01-2007, 03:11 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no welding it came with plastic/rubber washers and I have no leaks.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
rtmorrisjr
Captain

im going to have to do that. i will be taking my pan off this weekend to see if indeed its cracked ( i think it is but not 100% sure thats whats leaking). if its not ill be adding a drain plug to it.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:01 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i did it. best $5 ever spent. no welding required. 1/2 " drilled hole required. place it in the passenger side rear corner area, in the middle of one of those stamped squares. WATCH out for whats above it in the valve body, as some of the plugs are a little tall and there are some expensive looking low hanging things. just position it to an area where there is nothing over it but air. mine was a little tall and i ground off the excess on the grinder. it drains 'most' of the fluid and is 1000 times easier, cleaner, neater when servicing trans. also - you can get away with simply draining and refilling fluid 2 or 3 times before dropping pan and changing filter. why mister dodge can't put one in from the factory is a disgrace.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:51 PM
atcsat64
Professional

ORIGINAL: dhvaughan

i did it. best $5 ever spent. no welding required. 1/2 " drilled hole required. place it in the passenger side rear corner area, in the middle of one of those stamped squares. WATCH out for whats above it in the valve body, as some of the plugs are a little tall and there are some expensive looking low hanging things. just position it to an area where there is nothing over it but air. mine was a little tall and i ground off the excess on the grinder. it drains 'most' of the fluid and is 1000 times easier, cleaner, neater when servicing trans. also - you can get away with simply draining and refilling fluid 2 or 3 times before dropping pan and changing filter. why mister dodge can't put one in from the factory is a disgrace.
I don't know why they all can't do it!Anyway, did you tap the drilled hole or just use the plug? I don't think I have a tap that big - maybe though.And is the plug magnetic?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:47 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: atcsat64
... And is the plug magnetic?
there is a magnet alredy in the pan from the factory

Quick Reply: Transmission drain plug add-on