2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lowering a 3500 ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:00 AM
MeltonMotorsports
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lowering a 3500 ram

The way to go is air bags and if done correctly will be just as strong if not stronger than stock. Depending on how low you go obviously you will loose some suspension travel but thats where the "adjustable" part comes in. Semi trucks and buses have Air Ride suspensions to compensate for load and improve ride. And since its adjustable on the fly, if you come up on speed bumps you just flip a switch and raise it. So you can still retain function. There were many bagged duallys at SEMA this year that not only were on display but hauled other show cars to the show. The only place you would lose function is with large diameter wheel upgrades because of the low load rated low profile tires. Anything under a 45 series tire is pretty much useless.

You can still lower a 2500 or 3500 dually on a budget with a static drop by doing front springs and rear flip kit or rear shackles, new shocks, bumpstops, and shims. When combined with a Firestone Ride Rite or something similar, you can retain towing capacity but there will be a small to moderate sacrifice in ride quality. Plus you can't adjust it for high speed bumps. Auto Parts Warehouse dot com has good prices on lowering kits for 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

i think this thread is pretty much dead... aint heard anything about it in months

Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 AM
SilverRam_01
Captain

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

i think this thread is pretty much dead... aint heard anything about it in months
WELL. I could thread-jack it. I just did. Now, what would be the oakiest/cheapest way to throw a 2/4 drop on my TWO WHEEL DRIVE RCSB pickup, so i can stuff a cam in it, throw some headers and glasspacks on it with some 17" Torque Thrusts, and then swap a 5 speed into it?? Nukka got swooped.

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 AM
92GreenYJ
Professional

i may as well add a hijack. Has anyone seen or know of a good FULL air bag kit for a 98 1500 2wd quad cab? I want to keep the tow capacity and strength but i would love to put a full air bag system on it so i can drop it when commuting to improve gas mileage. And since its 2wd i have no guilt at all in lowering it

Quick Reply: lowering a 3500 ram