2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front tire rubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 12:16 AM
madtrix
Default Front tire rubbing?

I just bought my first full size truck, a 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 85,000 milesand need some help. When i am moving slowly and turn the wheel sharp left like when i am parking or turning into a driveway there is what sounds like a rubbing noise coming from the fornt left tire. it does not happen when i turn the wheel sharp right, only when i turn sharp left. I had new tires put on it when i bought it and they are the same size tires that were on the truck from the previous owner. I got Mastercraft Courser A/T's LT 305/70 R16. Does anyone know what this rubbing noise is coming from and how to fix it?

Old 08-21-2007 | 12:32 AM
spaz_22
Captain
Default RE: Front tire rubbing?

you need to see were it's rubbing at. is it rubbing the control arm or the fender? is there any lift on it? the reason why it's probably rubbing the control arm is you need more backspacing on your rims (buy new rims) the reason why it's rubbing the control arms now and not before is becuase your tires are probably knobbier then the previous set. if it's rubbing the fender or inner liner, then you need a lift..probably just a 2" leveling kit

Old 08-21-2007 | 01:12 AM
madtrix

there is a lift on it, i'm just not sure as to how high. i'll have to check and see what the tire is rubbing against tomorrow. it';s just weird that it only happens when i turn the wheel sharp left, not sharp right. i'll check it out tomorrow

Old 08-21-2007 | 02:03 AM
Sinister
Record Breaker

have someone watch as you turn the truck, if its the fender, yeah its in need of a lift, if it looks like its rubbing the frame, buy two steering bolts.. alot cheaper than a 2" leveling kit. that is if you have the boltholes in the knuckle.

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:23 PM
madtrix

i checked it out today and the tire is rubbing against the frame, not the fender. where can i get steering bolts?

Old 08-21-2007 | 05:19 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I got the same thing going on too. I have a 3" lift on my 2001 Ram 4x4. It has 35" tires on it. It's funny though, are turning issues are opposite. I can turn full left and no rub, but at full right, the tire hits the control arm and makes some weird "crowbar" noise when I turn it too tight, what can I do so I can turn it all the way right like i can all the way left??

Old 08-21-2007 | 06:24 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker

@Madtrix - steering bolts are very fine screws with a locking nut as well, you can pick them up at the dealership, or if you're lucky a Parts junkyard.

its unusual to see a Rub full lock right, its usually Full Lock Left you get the "crowbar" - using the steering stops will prevent rubbing, however at the same time, you may lose a few degrees in your turning radius.

Old 08-21-2007 | 07:22 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah that's what I've heard, a lot of mechanics say usually its turned all the way left you get the crowbar sound, but it's whenever I try to pull into a parking spot turning hard right it makes that dreadfully terrible noise, so I try to avoid turning hard rights in general!

Old 08-21-2007 | 09:19 PM
madtrix

actually i noticed today the noise did in fact occur when i turned right. it doesnt happen all of the time to the right though. thanks for the advice, hopefully i can get the steering bolts in there at a decent price before i ruin my new tires

Old 08-21-2007 | 11:58 PM
spaz_22
Captain

are you guys using stock rims?? if you are you can also fix the problem with aftermarket rims with less backspacing like 4.5 inches or 4 inches.

Quick Reply: Front tire rubbing?