2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram Track Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:53 PM
doziersdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Ram Track Bar

Hey any of you had problems with your track bar? I experienced the dreaded "death wobble" and it worried the crap out of me. I got one of Luke's Links and it fixed the problem. Easy to install too.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
hipkinsd
Captain
Default RE: Dodge Ram Track Bar

Yep. I had to replace mine before I could get an alignment done about a year ago. I put a Moog on it and it's as good as new. Didn't have the "death wobble" you experienced, but I have noticed some improved handling since then.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:31 PM
loosewheelbob

Yeah, I've replaced it on the '97 I used to have, and my '98. I've also had to replace the sway bar links on both trucks. I guess it's just one of those things.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:52 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Keep an eye on that Lukes Link. I've heard a lot of stories of them breaking. You might also want to look into a DT trac-bar.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:11 PM
stic
Professional

im new to dodge and this might sound like a dumb question but....what and where is the track bar and how do i go about fixing?would this be because my truck seems to wander?how bout a rough estimate of part(s) cost.thanx in advance.
stic

Old 10-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Not a dumb question at all. The track bar keeps your front axle aligned perpendicular to the frame. If you climb under the front of your truck, look for a bar that is attached to the pass. side of the axle and is also attached to the drivers side frame rail. That's your track bar. A bad bar would make your truck wonder for wobble. Aftermarket replacements from places like Napa or Advance Auto will run anywhere between $100-130 depending on where you go. A better aftermarket replacement such as the DT bar will run about twice that.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:44 PM
stic
Professional

thanx man...is this bar supposed to be straight,or have a slight curve to it.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:43 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Yes, there is a curve in it towards the drivers side end. Also, I forgot to mention, if you think your bar is bad, have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the ball joint on the frame end. If there's excessive play in it, it's bad. Don't forget to check you alignment after replacing it either. A bad alignment will help wear the bar out quicker.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:03 PM
stic
Professional

ok i found it.ill check the play tomorrow.
i hate to ask a bunch of questions but ....i noticed some fluid on the driveway after returning home from trick and\or treating with the kiddies.it smells like gear oil and i think i tracked it down to the driver side end of axle.seems its leaking where the u-joint runs into the axle housing.is my terminology correct?i believe theres a seal there but my question is....is that whole front axle housing filled with fluid?if it needs replaced,im covered under warranty but i wont be able to get in there til sat.will i do much damage if i wait that long?what if i dont use 4 wheel drive,will i still damage it by driving?
hate to be a pain but on sunday nite,you guys are my only hope.
thanx again.

Old 10-31-2004, 11:54 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Sounds like the inner seal in the diff housing is leaking. That's a pain to change, because the axle needs to be stripped down enough to get the gear carrier out so the seal can be accessed. Be glad that it's under warranty. The diff. shouldn't leak completely dry, just leak down past the bottom of the axle tube, but keep an eye on it, and add some if necessary. There is a plug on the differential cover that you can remove to check the fluid level. Stick your finger in the hole and use it as a dipstick. If you don't get any fluid on your finger, add a little until you can get it to the dealer for repair.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Track Bar