2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Switched to Royal Purple finally

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 01:21 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Switched to Royal Purple finally

ORIGINAL: Armor

A note on Royal Purple...it's a good oil, but it doesn't seem to resist shearing as well as some of the other synthetics on the market, so stick with changing it every 3500-5000 miles instead of the 10,000-12,000 mile claim. I used to use RP in my WS6 Formula (LS1 V8) but switched to Penzoil Platinum synthetic on a tip from some other Firebird owners...I'm much happier with it than I was with RP...I had a noticeable temp drop even from RP and the oil stays really stable, and it's not nearly as expensive. I still use RP in my transmission and differential, however.
i do not agree. As said in their faq, you should change your oil at 3500-5000 miles for the first few changes, because there are still deposits left over due to the mineral oil's lower capacity for removing particulates, in compairison. After a few you can change it every 10 or so. personally 5 is the most i would use, but thats just preferance. I have not seen a side by side compairison between RP and other synthetics showing sshearing resistance diffrences. No offence, but i dont trust the oppinions of fbody ls1 owners unless its backed up with hardcore facts...nothin against you in particular, its just personal experience.

Quick Reply: Switched to Royal Purple finally