2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rebuilding an auto myself

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rebuilding an auto myself

ORIGINAL: sony224422

im not trying to aruge, im just wondering why you'd think it wasn't that if it threw the code for it.

Also, i think you might be thinking of the cam shaft sensor, thats inside the distributor. But, I don't know, i can't even locate the crankshaft one myself. But the trucks got 180k on it, and its never been changed from what i was told.
Fair enough, I got the two confused. I had problems with the crankshaft sensor as well as it was covered with grease. Pulled it out, cleaned it up, reinstalled - *BINGO*. My truck has 139K on it.

I'm trying to tell you to think this stuff through and try simple approaches first before just throwing money at problems. Sensor throws a code? OK, check all connections first. The IAC is known to cause problems, 90% of the time can be remedied by pulling it and cleaning it with carb cleaner.

The camshaft sensor is located on the top, right side of the transmission. IIRC, it is two 14mm bolts that holds it place and they are a bitch to remove. Get inside of your engine bay and grope around back there and you'll find it. Use a mirror if possible. Seriously, pull that thing out and give it a good cleaning. It's a magnet. The damned thing CAN'T go bad unless something got inside of the transmission and broke the sensor.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:25 PM
sony224422
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i found it today but i didn't test it. I am going to try to test it first before i replace it, but im really hoping that thats all thatts wrong.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

It's a magnet. The damned thing CAN'T go bad unless something got inside of the transmission and broke the sensor.
I hate to burst your bubble but crank sensors fail all the time.
True there are no moving parts to the sensor like a TPS but there is more to it than just a magnet with a wire sticking out of it. These are hall-effect sensors they also have (simple) electronic semi conductors that can fail. It doesn't have to be physically broken to fail.
Your right to convince him to try to diagnose rather than "shotgun" parts and guess but he is not a professional technician.

So he has a crank sensor code, the symptoms fit, the sensor isn't really expensive or hard to change, and it's a commonly failed part.
I doubt he has a lab scope to check the signal anyway...
So at this point barring an obvious problem somewhere else replacing the crank sensor seems like a pretty good idea. I would if it was my truck given the situation.

Sony, If the crank sensor and wires are cover in oil the chances the sensor are bad is even greater

Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 AM
sony224422
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think im going to try to replace it tomorrow. I'm thinking it'll need a new one anyways, i've read alot about them failing on these engines. but im really just hoping i don't have tranny problems

Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: rabbler

ORIGINAL: VWandDodge

It's a magnet. The damned thing CAN'T go bad unless something got inside of the transmission and broke the sensor.
I hate to burst your bubble but crank sensors fail all the time.
True there are no moving parts to the sensor like a TPS but there is more to it than just a magnet with a wire sticking out of it. These are hall-effect sensors they also have (simple) electronic semi conductors that can fail. It doesn't have to be physically broken to fail.
Your right to convince him to try to diagnose rather than "shotgun" parts and guess but he is not a professional technician.

So he has a crank sensor code, the symptoms fit, the sensor isn't really expensive or hard to change, and it's a commonly failed part.
I doubt he has a lab scope to check the signal anyway...
So at this point barring an obvious problem somewhere else replacing the crank sensor seems like a pretty good idea. I would if it was my truck given the situation.

Sony, If the crank sensor and wires are cover in oil the chances the sensor are bad is even greater
Do they "go bad", or are they grease covered, throw a code, and everyone replaces them thinking they are bad? If they do fail "all the time", then *why*?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Electronics can fail.
It's an imperfect world
What you've never changed a bad ignition module?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:20 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Ram Field Service Manual warns that it is easy to damage a crank position sensor when the transmission is removed for any reason.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend

ORIGINAL: rabbler

Electronics can fail.
It's an imperfect world
What you've never changed a bad ignition module?
Nope.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Then it sounds like your tossing out theories about things you don't have any experience with.
We're trying to help this guy out.
Maybe you should stick to old Volkswagens and changing oil...

Quick Reply: Rebuilding an auto myself