2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:57 PM
AAA4948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers

My wipers work fine and the delay functions properly. However, if I switch them off in the middle of a stroke, they will stop immediately where they are and will not return to the initial position.

Same with the washer. If I hit the washer fluid, they will wipe for a bit then stop in the middle.

I shut them off by turning the switch one click on the delay until it pauses in the initial position and then I can turn it off.

I tried changing the relay, but no luck. Switch or motors? They both seem to be working. Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 PM
bill022572
Professional
Default RE: Wipers

my experience with other cars is that if the wipers don't park - it is a bad wiper motor. Unless these systems work differently.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes they are not parking, but remember they are not true self-parking wipers, like on the old GM's with hidden wipers.
Had this problem with a 300zx I had

I found this old info I had done the similar before.

The wiper motor gets power from two sources. One is from the switch on the stalk. The other is from the battery via the ignition switch, but in series with this path is a switch internal to the wiper mechanism which opens up once per cycle. If the second circuit is functioning, when you release the stalk switch, the second circuit still carries current to the wiper motor until it reaches the wiper position where the internal switch opens. At this point, if the stalk switch is disengaged, the wipers park. If the second circuit isn't working, either because of a faulty wiper park switch (inside the wiper mechanism) or because the external wiring isn't delivering current to this switch, then the wipers park immediately when you shut off the stalk switch,

Old 09-08-2007, 01:08 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there are 4 wires to the wiper motor. 3 are 12volt ( hi speed, low speed, park circuit (the 12 volt constant described above. i think its the blue wire)). the 4th wire is the ground. test for 12 volts on all 3, based on switch setting and long description above. if power is there on the park circuit, then its a bad motor. the wiring diagram is available in the 2001 service manual at the sticky threads at the top. its known as the merry christmas thread. if you can't find it holler and i'll look it up.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm betting on bad motor. Park switch has failed internally. Seen it before...

Old 10-11-2007, 09:38 AM
dufus

I have a similar problem with my 99 grand caravan and was told it was the switch. My question is how hard is it to change the switch?? The switch costs about $135 and figured i could save a few bucks if i could do it myself. Tried searching for an online repair manual, but as usual everyone wants money.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I have had this issue with my truck since I've gotten it. I always thought it was just how these trucks are. Sometimes I will have to cut it back on and off to get it to go down. It will normally go down but if it isn't in the right spot it will stop about half way. I didn't know it was actually a problem and for me it isn't a big deal.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM
dufus

[]Not that its a problem other than it may burn out the motor, because sometimes they don't shut off either. Even after i shut off the switch.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

It sounds like your problem may be differn't from mine then. My issue is when I turn them off if it's in a certain spot when I turn them off they will move to the middle and stop there. I will have to turn them on then back off to get them to go down sometimes.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 AM
bill022572
Professional

So - - - the answer is .......... ?

Quick Reply: Wipers