2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearance Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearance Lights

Anyone know where i can find some cheap clearance lights (cab lights, yellow lights, night running lights, whatever yall wanna call em)? Also has anyone installed these themselves, if so, PITA or no?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:26 PM
RamManRiley
Default RE: Clearance Lights

GO TO ADVANCE auto parts 20$ and boom u got them. pull the head liner dwn and drill 5 holes which are cut out for you then wire them into the head light switch.

Old 09-09-2007, 12:23 AM
e_secrist

Make sure to put rubber grommets in the holes you drill. This will keep the wires from rubbing on the metal and causing a short- or worse a fire. If you hook it up to your headlight switch it will burn it up also if there is a short.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:44 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wouldn't mounting them to a bar be a better option?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BlueBeast2

wouldn't mounting them to a bar be a better option?
nah, im talkin about the little yellow lights that run along the cab, they supposed to be mounted to the truck roof.

appreciate the info guys, i would do it my self im just worried about messin somethin up.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:23 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OH lol mounting them too the roof makes since then

Old 09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Chopper1
All Star

From what everyone has said in the past the roof already has the places for them inside. When my headliner was out I did notice gaps for where they would be. By the way, pulling the headliner on an extended cab is a longer job than expected. PITA

Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

i put clearance lights on my 99 ram i used to have.. they looked good.. the headliner wasnt an issue.. i just pulled the front of it down so i could get access to the wires after i put them in .. to me.. the more PITA was on top of the truck where i was measuring to make sure they were centered evenly.. i ran ONE power wire from the headlight switch up to the first light.. then to the next and so on .. the ground is done for you when you put the screw in the hole.. and the lights from advance auto come with the rubber grommets.. it comes with all you need for installation bu tthe tape measure and the drill bits and the screwdriver .. and they look sharp when done

Old 09-09-2007, 04:29 PM
rango726
Professional

i bought my clearence lights at vip they have model specific lights but i havent installed them because i couldnt find the exact measurments on the spacing for the lights. but you guys are saying that there are markings already there under the headliner?? is that the case.?? that would be awesome but aggrevating too because ive waited so long to install them

Old 09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
dishdude2k
Captain

i didnt see any markings per say.. but the way its built theres room for the wires and screws so you can mount them w/o messin up the headliner.. when i measured mine.. there is 5 of them.. take your width of the truck.. (roof only) and then divide that by5 ... from one end measure that distance then again and again 5 times.. if you did it right.. you should have the same result when you get to the end.. i then put my lights up.. and used a led pencil and traced them.. just so i could get the angle down with it so it followed the form of the front of the roof... made sure headliner was out.. and went to drilling.. heres an example

[IMG]local://upfiles/53503/4DDD1A57F88C481F8E96FB03560D4F37.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry im a retard.. divide that by 6 .. comes out to 9 1/3 inches... when measuring you have to count the end of your path as a light even though there is no light there.. in a nutshell.. make sure all the spaces are the same...

Quick Reply: Clearance Lights