2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?

Im telling you man, dont get the pacesetters. They are true POS's. The edelbrocks or gibsons are much better and will last alot longer.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Ask shott about his eddy's. Gibson seem to be pretty nice, but you won't get near the results out of shorties. I've run both.

The reason Pacesetter got a bad name was because when, they started making shorties for our trucks, thier painted headers were the cheapest thing you could buy, and a lot of people bought them. Well painted headers are.........painted headers. The extreme differences of temperature break the bond down and afterwards those same differences accelerate oxidation and they're gone. Header wrap is even worse. IIRC Gibson are stainless, so they probably just discolor.

The exhaust guy that piped my system from the y back commented on how good the ceramic job was.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:09 PM
tj1320
Professional

Wow guys, I don't know what to think now. I hear that the Pacesetters are crap then I hear that they are great. I know for a fact that they are great on LS1/LT1 f-bodies and they offer an excellent bang for the buck on those cars compared to shorties.

I'm still leaning toward the Pacesetters for the power difference but I'm willing to compromise for better quality if it will only be like a 5 rwhp difference between the two. Either that or maybe I'll just go with the Pacesetters and if they are crap, I'll just return them within the warranty period. IIRC, the warranty is 3 years on them from Summit.

Thanks for the advice though.

Old 02-29-2008, 01:30 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this article is one of the few
that gives honest results on how the various
headers and exhaust manifolds affect hp and torque:

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/t...ust/index.html

The Magnum cast iron manifolds are near in performance to the 340s tested in the above article

Old 02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had Edlebrock TES headers since 97 on my Indy. Good SS headers but didnt give much hp/trq gain with them. Original Pacesetter shorties were crap, but the long tubes are much better. Know a few with them and nothing but good reviews from all I know.
Iordered a set of Pacesetters2days agowith the ypipe. Didnt get them coated cause Im replacing my whole exhaust and getting it all coated from heads to tip.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:11 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Im replacing my whole exhaust and getting it all coated from heads to tip.
Sweet.

Pacesetter subs thier coating out.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?