2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM
navyfc
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?

Just bout to get some new headers... I can get the pacesetter longtubes for around 280.00 on ebay and the edelbrock 65643 shorty's for 350.00... Earlier we were talking about them being illegal... I decided it's not a issue...

Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 PM
navyfc
Rookie
Default RE: Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?

any recomendations?

Old 09-08-2007, 11:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The edelbrock headers are a direct replacement for the OE headers. They should bolt right onto the existing parts.

The Pacesetter tubes will require more manipulation of the exhaust system. You won't be able to bolt them right up to the stock recievers on the y pipe.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM
navyfc
Rookie

So if you were me you would stick with the edelbrock headers? I have heard that they are a better quality which i like a lot..... Also hope you (aim4squrrels) read my reply to your message earlier, i was a a## apologized.... This is my first Ram that im working on had a 98 before but sold it for a car, gas was too expensive my junior year to pay for by myself but i loved that truck so i got this one its a 01, with the 360... Im about to be 20 so this is my first rig that im fixing up just want to do my best...

Old 09-09-2007, 02:12 AM
heybuddy1901
Professional

personally im going pacesetter longtubes with their off-road Y pipe..

if your gonna go, go all the way

Old 09-09-2007, 10:36 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Actually,

I probably need to apologize myself. I was 3 sheets to the wind last night and got a little high on my horse. I was new here not so long ago and asked a bunch ofnew questions and expected intelligent answers, and fast service and probably got on a few peoples nerves myself.Heck I probably still do. But nobody lashed out at me and I shouldn't have done that to you. Sorry about that.

Don't expect any hugs, or a basket of flowers though.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:51 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

As far as the headers, Edelbrock makes a good set for shortys. I believe Silver_Dodge one of the admins runs them.There was some talk a while ago about the Titanium coated ones having issues, but I've not heard those complaints about the ceramic coated ones.

If you'regoing to get tubes, make sureyou get ceramic coated. Theydon't discolor with heat and keep the heat out of your engine bay, which if you're running a roundAC setup, is a good thing. The stainless steel ones are good too, as they won't rust likethe factory steel onesor the painted steel thatothers sell, but the heat can discolor them and give them a dingy red color.

There were some comments awhile ago to avoid the cheaper Summit brand if you're looking at Summit Racing, as they might be factory seconds of some other brands and the facings weren't flush.

If you run longtubes, you might want to get the pacesetter y pipe as well. Pacesetter is the only brand I know of that makes longtubes for our trucks, and the y pipe they sell is supposed to hook directly to their longtubes.

Whatever you do, if you're going to DIY get a can of PB Blaster and start soaking all the bolts at least the day before. Also get a good set of header gaskets, HankL recommended these and they look like they'd do a good job: http://catalog.remflex.com/product_p/rf6004.htm. I would also suggest a set of grade 8 header bolts to hold them on and torque them down snug.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:52 AM
navyfc
Rookie

^^^^^^

Yah its all good, i feel like im a bit of annoyance right now...But I still havent figured this whole forum out yet....

Old 09-09-2007, 10:59 AM
navyfc
Rookie

I think that i have made up my mind to get the edelbrock shorty headers #65643 They might cost a little more but its nice to know that they will bolt right up without any extra parts and come with everything that i need for $350 which includes shipping. Has any one here had any problems out of the nickle, chrome painted headers?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend

I think nickel and chrome gets a kind of gassy, rainbowcolor when it heats up and then turns a dull black, but I won't swear to that. Remember, the headers will take more heat than any other part of your exhaust, they should be a high quality material.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock Shorty Headers or Pacesetter Longtubes?