2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What type of exhaust is More power full

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 PM
xcracer7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of exhaust is More power full

Simple what make the most power?

does a single pipe high flow setup or true dual?
and do any of the x, h, or y type conectors resirict the power of the exhaust. and what make it sounds old muscle car like?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion
Default RE: What type of exhaust is More power full

ORIGINAL: xcracer7

Simple what make the most power?

does a single pipe high flow setup or true dual?
and do any of the x, h, or y type conectors resirict the power of the exhaust. and what make it sounds old muscle car like?

theres lots of threads on this, searching the subject will bring up lots and lots of info on the topic.

Basicly, as far as a stockish engine is concerned...headers and true duals. I figgure the H pipe works for ballancing, but Id like to see what the X would do for power. Iv had lots of success with X's on other cars.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:22 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Man, it's not just a "simple" answer:

You've gotta know if you want to sacrifice low end torque for high end power, if you want duals or single outlet, what dia tubing to go with depending on theoutlets, all sorts of stuff. Also, if you don't open up the air intake, the exhaust isn't going to net youmuch overthe gains of just replacing the stock muffler and cat.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:56 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

If you are going to run a true dual on a stock motor, you'll be safe with 2 1/4" piping....If you are going to run a SI/DO with a stock engine, you are going to be safe with 2 1/2" piping. A single inlet/out...you will be safe with 3" piping from the catback. BUT, as a good measuring tool, it always makes sense to have a performance air intake system if you are going to put in a performance exhaust system if you really want to get the best bang. A lot of guys say that you lose low-end torque with a true dual, but if you do it right, you are not going to feel a differance whatsoever. I will say this though, a true dual excells more so on top end as opposed to low end, I know this for sure...my brother runs a 2 1/2" true dual with hi-flow cats and dynomax bullets on his F-350 7.5L, 460ci big block. As it stands now, I run a 3" SI/SO hi-flow magnaflow cat that dumps into a 3" INLET/ 2.5" DUAL OUTLET Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler. I ran a 3" cat because if I decide to ever run headers, the new y-pipe will butt into the 3" cat perfectly. It is all based off what you want, all these systems create all different sounds, power gains, and looks depending on what you do with it! Let us know what you are thinking of doing!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
silverghost01

from what ive been told by my exhaust guy, people on this forum, and from a tech at flowmaster is that the magnums dont do well with true duals, thats why i went single in dual out.just my 2 cents

Old 09-19-2007, 09:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah I agree...si/so is boring, and true duals are sketchy with today's advanced computer systems. I think si/do systems are the best compromise.

Quick Reply: What type of exhaust is More power full