2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny Pan

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Pan

[align=left]So as some of you may know i had a warped tranny pan and it was leakin pretty bad. I ordered a new one and installed it about 2 weeks ago with the gasket and it was fixed... or so i thought. I come out this morning and its like the old pan is back on. Tranny fluid all over the ground. Im about to drop the pan and check the gasket, anyone have any ideas to make sure this wont leak again? Sealers or somethin like that? Ive used the sicicone gasket maker, still leaked with that so i dont wanna go down that route if possible...[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]thanks in advance yall![/align]

Old 09-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Bouncer88
All Star
Default RE: Tranny Pan

Look where the pan meets the gasket and gasket meets the tranny, is it pitted at all (normally it wouldn't be). Also does your tranny get incredibly hott? If so look into the transmission/oil cooler from summit for $90.00. This completely confuses me , oh one other thing, are you torquing those bolts down to spec? If you are you should do it in a certain pattern instead of going around in a circle try doing a criss cross patter that way the gasket doesn't get thinned out while you are tightening it back up.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:33 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

yeah i did the criss cross pattern and it was fixed until a couple days ago... if i run my finger around the pan should i be able to feel the gasket? Tranny doesnt run hot at all, just a leak from the pan.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

ORIGINAL: motorbrreath

yeah i did the criss cross pattern and it was fixed until a couple days ago... if i run my finger around the pan should i be able to feel the gasket? Tranny doesnt run hot at all, just a leak from the pan.
I can't feel my gasket, what type of gasket is it?

Old 09-27-2007, 10:43 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

some cheapie that came from advance, thats prolly the problem.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

some cheapie that came from advance, thats prolly the problem.
Hmmm if it is a cork gasket I would try and see if you can get one of those Felpro rubber coated metal ones, I had ****ty gaskets on my valve covers and they leaked then I got the Felpro gaskets and bam fixed it right away, but I don't want to cause you to go and spend money you don't need to so I would wait for a couple of other responses first, haha.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:38 AM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ah its not a problem with moms platnum card... ahhhh love bein suspended from college for a semester hahaha.

anyway, back on topic. its a rubber gasket im usin, not a cork. im a firm disbeliever in cork gaskets. im just gonna drop the pan and redo the gasket, hopefully i wont have to do this every 2 weeks until i save up enought for a fastman tranny.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

ah its not a problem with moms platnum card... ahhhh love bein suspended from college for a semester hahaha.

anyway, back on topic. its a rubber gasket im usin, not a cork. im a firm disbeliever in cork gaskets. im just gonna drop the pan and redo the gasket, hopefully i wont have to do this every 2 weeks until i save up enought for a fastman tranny.
Try this too I have to do it from time to time on my buddies truck. Take the pan and put it on a flat surface, check the edges and make sure they are all flush with the floor/ground if not get a rubber mallet and tap them till they are. I know it is a new pan but might as well check since you are going to have it off.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Bouncer88
All Star

Oh and we joined the same day, weird!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:39 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

well the sob is sittin in the garage with some gasket high tack sealer and a new rubber gasket. imgonna let that sealant sit for a couple hours before puttin it back on. lets see if this helps.

Quick Reply: Tranny Pan