2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing chain install done

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Bouncer88
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Timing chain install done

Now now no need for arguing, settle down boys.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the arguement is between Dealership and local shop, clearly a slight miscommunication. Dealership=expensive.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

OK, sorry if it looked like a flame, wasnt intended that way.

find a local repair shop and go there. there is no need to go to a dealer when any repair shop with a DRB scan tool can take care of it for you. Dealers have thier head up there asses when it comes to anything that is not stock. When you talk to the mechanics, tell them what's been done to the motor and tell them your cam timing setup and your looking for help to get it dialed in. start by finding out what it is currently at, record it and then either go to 0,2 or 5... if your above 5 drop it to 2 and see if the CEL still comes on at WOT, if it does, then go to 0 and check it again. If it still sets the CEL, then call someone like KRC performance and talk with their expert about your problem and see what they suggest.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 AM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

OK, sorry if it looked like a flame, wasnt intended that way.

find a local repair shop and go there. there is no need to go to a dealer when any repair shop with a DRB scan tool can take care of it for you. Dealers have thier head up there asses when it comes to anything that is not stock. When you talk to the mechanics, tell them what's been done to the motor and tell them your cam timing setup and your looking for help to get it dialed in. start by finding out what it is currently at, record it and then either go to 0,2 or 5... if your above 5 drop it to 2 and see if the CEL still comes on at WOT, if it does, then go to 0 and check it again. If it still sets the CEL, then call someone like KRC performance and talk with their expert about your problem and see what they suggest.
OH OHO OH!! I gotcha. I didnt mean dealer, thats just what my fingers typed for some reason. Thanks for the help steve

Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

[sm=icon_cheers.gif] I'm curious to find out how your truck performs after the adjustment.... 1/4 mile times (if you plan on running it), daily driving performance, and mpg performance. there's some other mods you can do as well to further help low/mid power that doesnt cost an arm & a leg... it would help with your setup. but 1st things 1st, get it dialed in and take some time to evaluate it.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

[sm=icon_cheers.gif] I'm curious to find out how your truck performs after the adjustment.... 1/4 mile times (if you plan on running it), daily driving performance, and mpg performance. there's some other mods you can do as well to further help low/mid power that doesnt cost an arm & a leg... it would help with your setup. but 1st things 1st, get it dialed in and take some time to evaluate it.
+1
Im going tomorrow if the weather is decently cold, so we will see whats up.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:16 PM
trucklover
Veteran

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

What? Advancing the timing gains some power, not retarding it...
valve timing, not ignition.

I am confused too. I thought advancing the valve timing lowersthe power band to give you more available low end power and retarding the valve timing raises your powerband to give you more available high end power? Please explain.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
IndyRamMan
Champion

Well I went to 20 shops today including the dealer and no one is able to reset fuel sync, everyone says that i need an aftermarket pcm or to go dyno tune it. So, that is the lame...any ideas now?
I also got my hands on an mt2500, and there was no way that it was going to help me any. All it does is just reads sensors with real time data and can give a freeze frame.

(btw. whats ignition advance at wot? The mt2500 was reading 38.9 * advance at wot)

ORIGINAL: trucklover

ORIGINAL: IndyRamMan

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

What? Advancing the timing gains some power, not retarding it...
valve timing, not ignition.

I am confused too. I thought advancing the valve timing lowersthe power band to give you more available low end power and retarding the valve timing raises your powerband to give you more available high end power? Please explain.
Well, you are right. Heres the thing though, I was willing to sacrafice some low end power for a gain in upper rpm power. The payoff was worth more than the loss so to speek. I actually noticed a very little low end loss, and a rather large upper gain.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Joescool00

Just curious, how high on the RPM's do you run it at? Nice truck though. Good luck on the error code.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

IndyRamMan...if you haven't posted it yet over on the delphi dakota r/t forums, i'd do that. seems there's a lot more technical specific information at your disposal over there. btw, i have the same s/n on that forum, glad to see you joined.

Quick Reply: Timing chain install done