2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Considering a Ram purchase, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Considering a Ram purchase, but...

oh, carfax report didn't turn up any bad info on the title. The more I use carfax, the more useless I think it is.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yeah know what you mean. I've been around mostly Fords my entire life, and they never let us down, ever. This 01 Ram I have though also hasn't let me down yet, and the engine runs very strong. My only complaints with dodges are some of the things they didn't put much time into like dashboards, door panels, latches etc. Other than that though, this Ram I recently bought runs great, sounds great, and looks AMAZING. The tranny is strong, but if its pushed the wrong way it will flutter, so I am deifnately milking my transmission as long as possible before it needs to be rebuilt, or replaced. Goodluck on the truck though. Personally, I don't think you should get that dodge now. Now that I know you are looking to buy a truck for $10,000, you can get something VERY nice that has no questions about it. You could definately swing something 02-03 in mint condition, because 10,000 is some good money. The last thing you need, is to be putting your *** out on the line for that much money.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:17 AM
hutch1973
Captain

I'll keep an eye out. If the guy with the truck i'm intersted drops the price some, I'd still consider it, after I find another 01 to check out some body lines on. I just want to inspect, up close, the fit in different areas to compare to this Ram. If the body fits well, I can insure it ok, I'd be willing to get it. Truck looks awesome. Mild lift, 33's, the blue color I love (in the sig above).If I buy the truck in its current state,at a low price, I'm willing to risk having issues down the road. I put on3k a year driving, so I'mwilling to bet I'll be mostly ok.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:23 AM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Yes, if you can get him to drop the price, then the stakes will be a lot lower. He wants $10,000 right now right? See if you can get him to $8,000,that'd be pretty cool. Sounds like a nice looking truck, the test drive will definately seal the deal for you though, let us know what you decide to do, I am very interested bub!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM
hutch1973
Captain

He has it around 10999 on the lot, 9750 through another internet ad. 8,500 is what I was thinking. Assuming I can get insurance, $8500 would be worth the risk for a 68k truck. Of course, I haven't driven it yet, but I'm not going to until I get him down under 9k. If he won't drop I'm walking away. Not a lot of selection up here for anything lower mileage. Only other truck I've found is a 01 with 100, he want's 9200. I found a 97 with 108k on it for 6k, so I'd probably look at that next.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been a fan of Dodges but I'm like you and kind of think Ford makes a better truck. I love the look of the 97-03 flaresides. Some of the best looking trucks imo.

As for that Dodge I'd stay away. It's not that cheap for all the flaws. If it was 3k I could see considering it but not for 8-10k. I'd rather have a clean truck with 100k miles than one with 68k thats been in a wreck and got a salvage title. Resale will also be a bitch.

I know you like the lift but you can add that to any Ram fairly cheap. Lifts are also a lot of times a sign that it has been beat on.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
importkillerrr
Rookie

the dodge in my siggy I paid $10,000 for and it had 31,000 miles. After I found out that it had a salvage history my insurance company and every dealership I tried to trade it in to appraised it at $4000. The truck was MINT and in perfect condition....that history of salvage is like the kiss of death

Old 10-17-2007, 12:29 AM
hutch1973
Captain

Not going after the truck at all. Talked to the bank and they would only lend 50 percent of the truck value, and insurance looked like it would be the same. Resale was not going to be an issue, the plan was to keep the thing for good. My situation is unique, I need a daily driver for about 2 years. I'm buying the company I work for, and after that, all my truck will be used for is working on my house.

Might have found another one. Have a friend with a lot and he just picked up an 01 from auction. SLT with a 5.9, 55k, auto, quad cab, and I should be able to get it for about 10,500. Cheaper if I fix what's wrong with it, which is a new rear bumper (dented) and the quad door on the drivers side won't open. You can feel by grabbing the handle that the rod came undone. Should know more tomorrow.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

I don't know whats going on here. Here in california you can open up a truck trader magazine and find lots of dodge ram pickups with between 50-100k miles for under 9 grand easy... I was considering selling my truck for around 9 if possible or less if I couldnt get more. My truck has a few dents and dings, no tranny problems, huge huevos, and only 65,000 miles. In no way should you even consider a truck like that for 10 grand or even 8. They go for around 8 normally because there are so many available on the market, at least here in california. Go to ( trucktrader.com ) and find a few you like... If anything find one in california. Gas is so expensive that people have to get rid of their trucks! Take a southwest flight down here, and drive back home. You'll have plenty to choose from and best of all you could buy mine if you like, but no matter what, don't settle for a salvage title.

By the way, as far as the tranny goes. The Dodge motors have always smoked the **** out of them. The 5.2 and 5.9 liter motors are practically unbreakable, but the autos can't take the abuse. If the tranny is taken care of it'll last a whole lot longer like others have already said but if it's beaten on, it'll go eventually. If you want to avoid all the tranny problems, just find the truck your looking for with a 5 speed. Lots more fun and hands down way more dependable. That's my two hundred and fifty two cents...

Old 10-17-2007, 08:15 PM
hutch1973
Captain

I've considered the out of state option, but once you factor in a plane ticket and the cost of gas to drive home (the Ram doesn't exactly get 35mpg highway), you are way better off just buying one close to home. Not to mention the time. I barely have a weekend to breathe, let alone a few days to drive cross country.

Even if I did do it, Cali is the last place I'd buy a truck from. Trying to find parts to fit a Cali emissions vehicle in the land of cheese and chunky women would be a huge pain.

Oh, GOT A TRUCK. Friend with the lot sold me a 01 Quad SLT 4x4 with 55k for 10k. Hell of a deal for around here. Basically charged me the cost of the truck at auction, and transportation to bring it home. Pays to have friends in the biz, couldn't find the same truck private party for under 11, and nothing even close to 55k for miles.

Initial response is I'm not happy with it, but that's fixable. Runs/drive excellent. 5.9 is great, but the truck is just boring. Needs exhaust, tires, and rims to get the pulse up a bit. I'll start researching forums shortly for ideas...

Quick Reply: Considering a Ram purchase, but...