2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Considering a Ram purchase, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 02:48 AM
hutch1973
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a Ram purchase, but...

So, Ford guy looking at purchasing my second Ram 1500. I owned one 6 years back, a 97, that ate auto's like it was going out of style, and have heard it's common.

Brings me to the following question: How common is auto trans issues and is their a point they were fixed? I've heard different items from different salesmen, aka crooks, and it all contradicts. Some have said anything after 00, guy told me today anything after 01 was ok, and it was an issue with the early models because of improper valve body assembly???

Outside of the transmission problems in my early Ram, I really liked the truck. Have found what I believe to be a good deal, 01 Sport 1500, towing and offroad packages, extended cab, 5.9 Auto, 65,000 miles, for under 10k.

All I care about is this, started reading frequently asked questions and saw that someone recomended a bulletproof replacement trans for the truck. Safe to assume that that would end any transmission issues should they come up? (my first ram was on it's 3rd trans at 132k miles.)

Old 10-14-2007, 09:42 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star
Default RE: Considering a Ram purchase, but...

That seems like a really good deal. My truck is a 2001 qaud cab long bed 1500 with the 5.9 it had 111,000 when I bought it for 10K. I havn't had any issues with the transmision and it's the original. I beleive that 97 was that last year of the tranny problems. They made the holes that the oil flows through too small so the oil would cycle fast enough to cool it down. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong I might just be blowing it out my hole. From my research that is what I remeber.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:59 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had issues with the tranny on my 01. Its got 96k on it and just recently started acting up. I had the strut and anchor fall out which apparently is caused by the bands being too loose. You have to pull the valve body to fix this. I got it fixxed and it seems ok now. Shifts a little hard from 1st to 2nd but might be normal I'm not sure it isnt bad. Better than it not wanting to shift and searching for the gear like it did before.

I had quite a few shops tell me 100k was about the limit on these but I'm wondering if its just issues like mine and they rebuild or replace them instead of fixxing them.More than one shop tried to get me to rebuild or replace the whole thing instead of fix it.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:14 PM
hutch1973
Captain

It's on a lot and the price is 2k less then any other lot, or private party.

Went and looked at it again this a.m. and noticed it had to have been in an accident. The gasket between the grill and hood wasn't lined up quite right, and I noticed a lot of condensation in the headlights, like they weren't quite sealed up right. Had to have been a front end accident. Pulled a carfax on itwhen I got home and it did havea "moderate" accident last October. They don't give you accident details, but they do say moderate would be triggered by broken glass, lights, bumper damage. Doesn't seem like it is something I should care too much about.

Just going to wear work clothes tomorrow when I go to drive it again and get down underneath it. As long as it doesn't have a salvage title, and it was fixed right, I don't care. I'm just nervous about that, because if a hack like me can figure outit had an accident via the repairs, ummmm

Old 10-14-2007, 12:20 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

ive got 175 k on my 2500, tranny rebuilt in 03' not a problem since. I think its as with any manufactuer, some cars are lemons, and some aint. My ford explorer ate transmissions, worse than dodge imo.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:25 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain

Dont quote me on this, but it seems like some have worse trannys than others...
Maybe it has to do with where the truck was built, what year the tranny is... waht ever...

My truck was a tow vehicle its entire life, and its been beat the last 40,000 miles... trans still shifts tight.

Take care of it, and it should take care of you.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:45 PM
hutch1973
Captain

Trans isn't as much of a concern now. Just spent more time at the stealership, and the front end doesn't seem right, body wise. Hood is loose on the drivers side, and lines don't match up. Want to pop the hood on it and look closer tomorrow, but this truck is quickly falling out of favor with me.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
motorbrreath
Record Breaker

yeah i would scrap that truck. take your time and look around, rams a good truck

Old 10-14-2007, 06:17 PM
95ramdan
Professional

my 95 ram has 128k on the tranny and its never been rebuilt nor has it givin me any problems.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:33 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Yeah from the sound of it I'd stay away from that one. It's probably the reason it's 2k cheaper than the other places.

As for the headlights I think they just fog up on these trucks. Mine had both lights replaced by the previous owner under warrenty when he complained about them fogging up. I no have had one of the new ones do it to. Instead of replacing it I just drilled some small holes in the bottom that seems to work well. Quite a few of my friends with rams have yellowish headlights. I think the headlights are just another crappy part on these trucks.

I hate to say it but I'd stick with a Ford. I like Dodge but I'm not sure that they really are as good as the Fords. I kind of wish I had gotten a Ford as thats what I wanted but never found one like I wanted in good shape. After all the issues I've seen with my Dodge and the fact that if I post online about it quite a few other people on the forums have had the exact same issue make me think these trucks arn't the best quality and makes me like Ford a little more.

I have considered selling mine for a F-250 but the Dodge is soo much fun to drive. I love the truck it just seems like it has a lot of stuff that goes wrong with it and costs a lot to fix. Everytime it breaks I get close to putting it up for sale then I get it fixxed and realize all over how much I like it and that I'd lose quite a bit on it if I sold it now. Due to gas prices truck values dropped like crazy around here right after I bought mine.

Quick Reply: Considering a Ram purchase, but...