2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sluggish at low RPM

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 08:32 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Sluggish at low RPM

ORIGINAL: kevro7

i've got about the same problem. its not real bad, but it doesn't get up and go like i think it should. the difference is that i have the cat-back, the superchips, and the intake. my truck has 138000 miles. when i get some money, the cat and TB will be next and hopefully will help. I'd love to change out the stock 3.55 gears to 4.10s but defineately don't have the money for that. if you find something that really seems to do the trick, let me know.

kevin
your dual out exhaust is a problem for low end loss. Been there on that one... I wanted dual outs but wanted the power of a single 3" on my flowmaster kit so I reduced my dual 2 1/2" outs down to 2 1/4" and bam, lots a low end now. Of course the top end suffered but having a 4x4 I want the torque down low...

Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: doziersdodge

Is the chip or the programmer a better route?
Programmer... can change it back stock in minutes, change speedo for tire sizes (hypertech anyway).

I have the hypertech and love it. you can feel it easily.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:10 AM
kevro7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea Steve00. i talked to you bout it on another site. i plan on tinkering with the reducers somtime soon. probably thanksgiving break or something. i just don't want to have to put the reducers clear back coming out of the muffler so i'm going to try the reducers at the end of the tail pipe. might work, might not. i'll find out soon.

kevin

Old 11-12-2004, 09:32 AM
banwhalen
Rookie

For what it matters. I have a stock 98 Ram w/5.9 and I run 93 octane and o/d off. My truck has great low end get up and go.

These are trucks not corvettes so I guess I don't understand why people want to change their intended design. I cannot see spending all the money, except for gear changes, that the rest of the folks here are doing.

It's a truck designed to haul and pull things.

I have a 73 Charger for performance and speed. My Ram is just something I use to take out imports.

Face it, the truck looks good, that's about all they were designed to do. The engineers at Chrysler sure know how to fkk up a good engine/tranny.

But I have found that premium gas and not using the waste of time overdrive gets me from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds (jk).

Old 11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
kevro7
Rookie

yea yea.... i hear that all of the time. but i can't afford 2 vehicles. got the truck because i do do a lot of hauling and towing. The 5.2 is all that i could find within my price range that i also though looked good - - so every extra little bit of hp/tq that i can find makes me a little happier.

Old 11-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Snafu

I use my truck for working almost exclusively. Been using it to commute cause the car's been broken, and I need to get miles on the truck to test the new transmission I swapped in. But normally there's a 20' car trailer hitched up to it, or I'm just hauling stuff in it. I've upgraded transmissions, I'm putting 4.10 gears in it this weekend, looking at doing a full dual exhaust w/dual cats, headers, cold air intake, high flow throttle body, and a few other things. I'm doing this cause I've got a 360 and need all the performance I can get for pulling the trailer and heavy loads. The diesel was way out of my price range, and I got a hell of a deal on this truck.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:16 PM
kevro7
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Snafu

I use my truck for working almost exclusively. Been using it to commute cause the car's been broken, and I need to get miles on the truck to test the new transmission I swapped in. But normally there's a 20' car trailer hitched up to it, or I'm just hauling stuff in it. I've upgraded transmissions, I'm putting 4.10 gears in it this weekend, looking at doing a full dual exhaust w/dual cats, headers, cold air intake, high flow throttle body, and a few other things. I'm doing this cause I've got a 360 and need all the performance I can get for pulling the trailer and heavy loads. The diesel was way out of my price range, and I got a hell of a deal on this truck.
let me know what you think of those 4.10s. i've been thinking about them. don't know if it would be worth the money. if i had a 2x4, i would have done it by now, but with a 4x4 i won't spend that kind of money unless i know for sure it will work well.

kevin

Quick Reply: Sluggish at low RPM