2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odometer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer question

I have a 99' Ram 1500. I need a new insturment cluster and I want to find one close to the miles I have. A buddy told me that he thought the Ram's store the mileage in the body control module or the main computer. That would be great because I can find a cluster locally for $30.00 but the truck has 280,000 miles on it. SO..... Is it stored in the cluster, bcm, or main computer. Thanx

Old 10-15-2007, 11:08 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Default RE: Odometer question

Have you called the dealer? They have someone who repairs clusters. Or exchange.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is stored on a chip in the odometer, not on the PCM. The PCM only increments it. Changing out clusters without the proper paper work (to disclose that the odometer has been changed) is a federal offense, and violates statutes in most states too. You can do it, but to stay out of trouble, you have to disclose it if you ever decide to sell the truck. The best way is to have a dealership fix it because they can have a new cluster ordered with the exact mileage on it, so no disclosures are needed. Anything else is considered odometer tampering.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:33 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 that the mileage is in the cluster. i changed mine due to faulty speedo and the mileage went back to the replacement cluster (-30k). i just wrote it all down and filed it away. $30 is a good price, but if you want something with mileage a little closer to yours, then just keep shopping. i got one for $25 on ebay.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 PM
DurangoDarrin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all. I tried the stealership but, to repair it it would cost 225.00....NOT! I'll check E-bay. I'll just get one with a few more miles to be safe.

Quick Reply: Odometer question