2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

skyjacker lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:36 PM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skyjacker lift kit

im looking at suspension lifts. done alot of reading on some of the old threads and research on my own. now im just looking for opinions and advice.

i know i only want about 2 in. 3 possibly but two is cheaper. ive been lookin at the Skyjacker 2in. system that comes with the Nitro shocks on 4wheelparts.com its only 396$ shipped. the same system with bilstein shocks on topguncustoms.com is about 550$

i think thats the lift i like just because its cheap and 2in. is really what im looking for. and i really wanted the bilisteins because well ive heard that they are the best and i like only the best thats why i drive a dodge, and thats why i do most of my own work(i can be kinda arrogant at times) but anyway i dont want to spend an extra 150$ so i was just wondering what everyone else has, what do you think of this system, are the bilsteinds worth it? are the Nitro shocks any good?

also if i piece together my own kit of 2-3in. will "stock size" shocks work or will they Have to be upgraded?

anyway thanks for the help, i love this site. gives me something to do at work

Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 PM
zique
Captain
Default RE: skyjacker lift kit

bilsteins are great shocks, but it really depends on your preference. Read some reviews one each of the shocks you are considering (model specific, not just brand) and go from there.

If you are going to piece together a kit and 2" is all you are going, stock length shocks will be all you are getting with the lift kits anyway. If you go up to 3" though, you will want the next step longer (at least in the front).

Old 10-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a 2", all you're really doing is leveling it out. You can just put a spacer in and you'd get that. (I believe)
I have their 3" and am happy with it. Their shocks are ok but not great. The Bilsteins are going to be better. I put 5150s on my rear and they work a little better I think.
To piece together a 2" ought to just be a spacer up front. A 3" takes a little more and a 5" a little more than that.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of 2" coils for sale in the classifieds. Check it out.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:25 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

I did the 2 inch piece thing my self. Did the 2 spacer (level kit) Then decided under load I looked like my rear was sagging, nobody wants that so I did AAL there. Problem is now I am looking at the range of a 5 inch lift. 2 just won't cut it, you might want to go big ger early and save the intermediate step of $$ and effort. I have rancho shocks, (I think 9000s, need to go look to be sure) not overly impressed but affordable.When I talkedto the rep they concur with ziqueup to 2 inch lift you get stock length shocks (atleast from Rancho).

Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

hmm i dont really wanna higher than a three just because i dont have the money to change out all the steering stuff, esp since i just did alot of front end work. and 2 is cheaper than 3 and still gives it the nice badass look. i think i might pick up those springs from Silver then just go with a AAL.

as far as the shocks go, i want something stiff, basically hard as rock, bumpy ride is fine with me, as long as i know my shocks can take it, and thats what ive heard about bilsteins. can any one confirm this or let me know how the bilstein ride is? ive only heard great things so thats what im elaning towards

Old 10-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

If you want stiff, but capable, try the Rancho 5000. Bilsteins are expensive.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

Here's my for sale thread with those coils in it:
https://dodgeforum.com/m_995403/tm.htm

Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
BIGRED97
Captain

cool, thanks Silver, i will send you a PM

On the AAL found skyjacker AAl for 89.95, shipped, that seems decent to me, just got one question do we ahve the 2.5" wide rear springs or does it vary by truck?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:30 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

BIGRED97 Silver's coils and that AAL will do you fine at a good price. Good luck with the install, I am not that bright and or skilledand the hardest part I had was getting the truck supported high enough to drop the axels, it takes creativity or abigger than standard set ot jack stands. Best advice I got though was to spray everything down good the night prior with liquid wrench or something similar to make getting it apart easier.

Quick Reply: skyjacker lift kit