2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear locker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rear locker?

Yea, I agree ox is nice and I wish they had for the rear. It turns out they don't have an application for my front either according to there website. They have the Dana 44 3.92 and up 30 spline for 849. but I have 3.55 gears so I would have to regear. I am calling a shop or two tomarrow as I contacted the tech again and still insists I still have c-clips in the front. I'll see how it goes tomarrow.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Just put the tru trac in the rear and leave the front alone. If it is a daily driver with occassional off roading you will be fine and save some cash for other stuff.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Called West Coast Differentials today and got the front all sorted out. Looks like the guy at detroit was wrong (lol.. get to know your product line at least... jk) It's a direct bolt up. I got a quote from a local shop today which seemed to be a little out rageous. For those who got auburns installed or again the same detroit truetrac installed in an axle, how much did that run you. The price I got quoted today would allow me to buy two more of them, on top of the two I plan to buy.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a Trutrac installed for $175, but I think the guy didn't realize what he was getting into.He honoredhis quote though, I'll give him that.

Fort Worth Gear and Axle if anybody wanted to know. They domostly trucks, offroaders,and semis.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:06 PM
TurboABA
Professional

Locker all the way.
I installed one in the rear of my Ram last winter, and I totally love it.
I never have to use 4wd unless I'm pullng someone out of a ditch or crawling up steep inclines.
The improved traction is absolutely amazing, and it only takes very little adjusting to your driving when cornering.
I drive a lot in the snow up here in Canada, so if I don't have trouble dealing with a locker on a daily basis, I don't know why you guys worry so much.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:22 PM
nhlbill
Veteran

Well I stand behind my post, there is not a selectable locker made for the 9.25, so either go full Detroit Locker, or go limited slip. If you go limited slip, definetely go with the Detroit Truetrac as it is a helical gear style vs. clutches that wear out like the Auburn has.

In the front you will want a selectable locker or deal with possible driveline vibrations from having both frontaxle shafts, the carrier and your front driveshaft spining all the time even in 2wd. There are several available selectable lockers in the front like ARB, and OX. They are expsensive, but
the ability to turn them on and off is worth it.

IMHo, if you don't wheel our truck much, go with the Truetrac LSD in the rear and be done with it.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:23 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: TurboABA

Locker all the way.
I installed one in the rear of my Ram last winter, and I totally love it.
I never have to use 4wd unless I'm pullng someone out of a ditch or crawling up steep inclines.
The improved traction is absolutely amazing, and it only takes very little adjusting to your driving when cornering.
I drive a lot in the snow up here in Canada, so if I don't have trouble dealing with a locker on a daily basis, I don't know why you guys worry so much.
Since the majority will be on road and not in snow, and also because I know how bad my rear swings now with a little rain around a corner with the open differential... I have definately am going dual LSD's. There is no sense in me putting in a locker that will potentially set me up for more accidents because the rear slips out. It's been said that lockers are more... consistant. Where the open may or may not swing out, the locker will. I just dont see why I would set myself up for this. Not saying im a bad driver... but with my luck... lol. Im completely set on these lsd. The only think im waiting for $$$ and a shop that wont "bend me over," just incase my self-install doesnt go so well.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:00 AM
TurboABA
Professional

^^^^ LOL

You totally missunderstood that post.
I didn't mean in SNOW (like in the middle of a field or forest).
I live in a city with a population of 300,000. It's not like I'm in the woods.
I drive daily, ON SNOWY roads, sometimes through a lot of snow, sometimes though rain, lots of times through completely dry roads. As long as you apply the accelerator gently, and not just tromp in through turns, you won't have any surpirses.

I went with theLOCKER simply because of it's effectiveness and value. I couldn't justify spending a lot more on an LSD.

I would try to find someone in your area who's got a rear locker installed and see if they will let you try driving their truck on a slippery day. It really isn't that difficult to control.

I'll see if I can dig up my original posts regarding my locker to give you some more info.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:15 AM
TurboABA
Professional

Here's where I was asking for opinons.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_681128/tm.htm

I don't regret my decision at all. You can also search for all posts by me, and you should find a few topics where I've replied to others regarding the performance of my locker. I'm very happy with it, and must say that after one full summer, my tires didn't get chewed up (excessively)as I was somewhat scared of.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: Chopper1

Just put the tru trac in the rear and leave the front alone. If it is a daily driver with occassional off roading you will be fine and save some cash for other stuff.
Well after talking to a few local 4x4 shops and mentioning I was going dual LSD, they kinda didnt like the idea. They said go for the rear, but ... doing the front is going to make everything turn which will create more drag even when not in 4wd. He said my only option was an ox locker which was mentioned earlier. Thanks chopper1, I am just going to do as u suggested. (prb other's 2, but i saw this post first when skimming).

Quick Reply: Rear locker?