2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear locker?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:04 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear locker?

Ok, heres the deal. I've been thinking about doing something with my rear diff for a while. its an 01 1500 4x4. It's open diffs so 4wd performance is less than adaquate. I was talking to "zique" about a powertrax, but I am actually getting scared. This truck is my daily driver, but if I go off road with some friends, I would like to be able to make it there first. lol. I'm getting scared because people talk about time when people have gone around corners and the rear has not unlocked. I would rather have safety vs. being a wet road and increase my chances of spinning out. So what can I do? Air locker is too much. I was thinking about putting it in the front since I only use 4wd when I need the traction, but then theres the possible binding action going on I hear. So right now I'm looking at the no-slip powertrax, or what ever else direction you shal point me. I know there are Eaton lockers etc. I am looking for a streetable locker, or an option to turn it off at least.

Thanks in advance
pcfixerpro

Old 10-25-2007, 11:19 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional
Default RE: Rear locker?

i ran a powertrax lock rite in my 93 dakota for 60,000 trouble free miles. the only time i noticed it was when going around corners it makes a clicking sound (similar to a ratchet turning) it's just the locker quickly locking& unlocking to let the outside wheel turn faster than the inside wheel. if you give it some gas it will lock & slightly chirp the tires.

i'm definitely getting one for the rear diff in my ram when i get the $$$

Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I mean theres a success story, but if im on some wind-e @ss back roads which are abundant around my house... then is that a good thing? Yours rachets, and I would be going for the no-slip which is a tad more expensive, but aparently more streetable. I know how loose my rear is now on no wet traction, and I wouldn't want to go worse.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:33 PM
OlsenG_360
Professional

when i say a corner, i mean like a 90 degree turn at a stoplight. not a winding road, believe me you want both wheels turning in that situation. if you lose control of the rear with a locker, you know both wheels are spinning at the same speed and can recover, one wheelisn't going to suddenly stop turning & throw you into a spin like can happen with these goofy-*** open differentials.

it's hard to explain, to really get a feel for what i'm talking about you'd have to drive an open-diff vehicle and a locker equipped vehicle in wet/snowy/muddy conditions and compare. the level of control you have over the vehicle is dramatically improved.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:34 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I found the Detroit TrueTrac here. which can go in my Dana 44 up front if I decide to do something in the front. I guess its more of a limited slip.
And here is the powertrax no-slip here.
Here is the powertrax no-slip for the front here.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:36 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

good to hear...., looks like u posted while i was typing. anyway... I mean I dont have that much 2 spend, but I have enough to do a front or a rear diff.

Anybody else have some input?

Thanks again

Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

upside - awesome traction, no more one wheel wonder.
its a simple do-it-yourself. take your time and read my long post of tips. i got a lot of practice.

neutral - truck feels a little funny at first, but you get used to it.
90 deg turn with power will chirp the tires. no big deal.
i don't experience any chatter or ratchet, but occasionally (maybe once a month) it will make a pop. i called powertrax about it and they said its normal, not to worry about it. so i don't.
i haven't had a spinout, but i don't drive fast either

downside - turning while driving in the yard will chew up the grass.
a little expensive, about $400 at PORC.
not recommended for tires > 33" or high hp.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_697667/tm.htm

Old 10-26-2007, 12:44 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Thanks for the break down. Yea i have 245 75 16, and was thinkin next winter to go with 265 75 16, but it is still less than 33's bf goodrich all terrains or mud terrains. Havent decided yet as I have plenty of time to think it over. Truck is pretty much stock, so hp wont be a big deal.

auburn limited slip? here

Old 10-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

The ratcheting lockers should only be locked when torque is being applied to it, so when your on the gas. When going around corners and your not on the gas you'll be able to hear it clicking, or ratcheting. Go for it, on something like wet pavement your not going to have any problems.

I know tons of people who run them in their DD and love it, even in the snow. They say its way more predictable, it just takes a week or so to get use to it. Instead of maybe having the rear lock up and sliding around a corner they know its going to so they can adjust.

Go for it, 100%

Old 10-26-2007, 09:27 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

The ratcheting lockers should only be locked when torque is being applied to it, so when your on the gas. When going around corners and your not on the gas you'll be able to hear it clicking, or ratcheting. Go for it, on something like wet pavement your not going to have any problems.

I know tons of people who run them in their DD and love it, even in the snow. They say its way more predictable, it just takes a week or so to get use to it. Instead of maybe having the rear lock up and sliding around a corner they know its going to so they can adjust.

Go for it, 100%
Well I want to thank everyone who contributed. That was precisely the thing that was holding me back (the bolded). Maybe i'm just being a puss, but I think I decided to go with the Detroit True-Trac LSD (no clutches, its gear driven) in the rear, and then the ez locker (detroit) or powertraxauto locker in the front. That should get the handeling I was looking for in regular driving, and then swap to 4wd and then get 3-4wd depending on whether the rear wants to lock up or not.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Rear locker?