2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
RamExpress
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

I've had a problem with bad starting on a 01 Grand Caravan. Sorry for posting here folks, but this is where all the action is. Let be honest! Anyway, I pulled the fuel pump, looked it over and looks fine. I hooked power up to it and the gas would come out with a solid stream for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it turned foamy like it was sucking in air. The tank has about 1/3 tank of gas so fuel level's not a problem. It seems to me that the stream of gas coming out should stay solid without any bubbles. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've ordered a new fuel pump but I keep feeling like I might have missed something.
ANY IDEAS??
Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 03:24 PM
RamExpress
Rookie
Default RE: FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

Come on, there's gotta be some super tech Dodge mechanic out there that knows about fuel pumps.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fuel pumps on most of the the newer Chrysler products have the pump reservoir inside the fuel pump module. That's why you can't actually see the pump when you pull it out.
Most fuel volume tests (which is pretty much what you're doing) are limited to 7 seconds.
If you run the pump longer with no load you can pump the reservoir dry faster than the fuel can seem into it. This can damage the pump.
So what your experiencing is normal. Your pump should produceapprox 1/4 litre of fuel in 7 seconds.
Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail with a test gauge. It should be about 50 psi.
If it can deliver the proper volume and pressure the pump is good. (as long as it doesn't pop any fuses)
It should also hold pressure in the line when the pump is off. I think the spec is at least 30 psi for 5 mins after you shut off the key
Anybody ever change the fuel filter?

Good luck

Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 AM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

Describe in detail the hard start issue and tell us if there are any DTC's in memory, and we'll be able to tell you if you should even be looking at the fuel pump. Hard starts can be lots of things, like faulty coolant sensors or PCM programming issues that present as the vehicles age and components wear.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

sounds like the pump is cavitating for some reason... any reason why you dont want to swap it out? if you've gone that far and found this problem, a new pump is probably the way to go.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker

If you run itdisconnected from the fuel rail for more than 7 seconds it will cavitate due to low fuel level inside the pump reservoir. Normal condition.
Doesn't matter how full the tank is

Old 11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies!
It sounds like my fuel pump is working as it should, by your description.
FYI, the starting problem is when I first turn the key, it just cranks without firing. If I just crank it for a couple seconds, shut it off, crank it again a few times, it will start to fire a little. I usually have to cycle it two or three more times before it actually starts. It acts like the fuel check valve isn't doing it's job so the fuel has to pump all the way back up from the tank every time. Once it starts, it runs just fine.
I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't make any difference so I pulled the tank and you know the rest. I haven't seen a check engine light so I shouldn't have any codes. I checked the fuel pressure valve by the rail by pressing the shrader valve and there was no fuel at all when the engine wasn't running. I haven't tried that with the engine running yet. From what I've heard, there should always be a lot of pressure at that point and I have none. If the car's running and I turn off the engine and start it back up immediately, it usually starts fine. If I just wait 3 seconds or more, then I have to crank it over and over again. So it seems like I have to prime it to get it started and that makes me think the check valve is faulty.
I did order a new Walbro pump on ebay a few days ago and I hope it includes a new check valve.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: RamExpress

Thanks for all the replies!
It sounds like my fuel pump is working as it should, by your description.
FYI, the starting problem is when I first turn the key, it just cranks without firing. If I just crank it for a couple seconds, shut it off, crank it again a few times, it will start to fire a little. I usually have to cycle it two or three more times before it actually starts. It acts like the fuel check valve isn't doing it's job so the fuel has to pump all the way back up from the tank every time. Once it starts, it runs just fine.
I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't make any difference so I pulled the tank and you know the rest. I haven't seen a check engine light so I shouldn't have any codes. I checked the fuel pressure valve by the rail by pressing the shrader valve and there was no fuel at all when the engine wasn't running. I haven't tried that with the engine running yet. From what I've heard, there should always be a lot of pressure at that point and I have none. If the car's running and I turn off the engine and start it back up immediately, it usually starts fine. If I just wait 3 seconds or more, then I have to crank it over and over again. So it seems like I have to prime it to get it started and that makes me think the check valve is faulty.
I did order a new Walbro pump on ebay a few days ago and I hope it includes a new check valve.
a sign that the fuel pump is having a problem. turn the key on for 3 sec, then off and back on for 3 sec and try to start it. if it fires up and then dies your pump needs to be replaced. there is a check valve in the pump assembly that keeps fuel in the lines so startup is easier. that valve is probably leaking and your pump is having to fill the lines before starting. once it fires up, if it runs fine w/o any problems then the valve is your problem. if it dies once started, you most likely (based on your description) have a bad pump.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker

Soundsgood to me. I think your on the right track.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
RamExpress
Rookie

Sounds like we're in agreement on that one.
I'll post again on this issue once I get my replacement fuel pump and let you know how it all turns out.
Thanks again for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP PROBLEM